Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok me and my buddy are in the process of putting a d60 in his 75 highboy, and while we are at it, we might as well go xover, i cant figure out what steering box to use, He has power steering right now, and also has a hydro assist setup, I dunno if this hydro came stock or what, it looks old. His steering box is mounted on the inside of the frame, and the steering shaft that comes out of the box goes through the frame, What Box do we need to get? thx.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not real sure about this, but I think 77-79 box works best. You need to make sure you also get the pitman arm and drag link also, because it will be different. Also, get the pump and hoses if avail., but I have heard of people using the power assist pump also.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx..... Did those boxes mount on the inside of the frame?, or will we need to mount it on the outside of his frame?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
to install the 78/79 powersteering box for a F-250 you need to heavily modify the crossmember underneath the front of the engine.

Here are a couple of pics of the modification.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
another

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
all of these pics were E-mailed to me by a gentleman on the Ford-Trucks.com website.

not the same one as wrote the articale.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
If your going to go cross over you should use a box out of a 78-79 F-150- Bronco. It mounts on the out side of the frame rail and the pitman is ment to go side to side not front to back like the 3/4 ton box of the same ventage. I know someone who did this swap and it worked very well. What are you going to do to mount the steering arm to the knuckle on the passenger side?
Leadmic

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for the pics.....

As for the steering arm on the knuckle, its a D60, there are plenty of arms to choose from ;P

1 - 10 of 10 Posts