Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over time i have added some electrical devices to my truck. my positive battery post is getting crowded. so i was wondering what you guys did to get all the wires out there? thanks

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
auxillary fuse block with one wire from the battery to the block and run your acc. from there. jiMMy

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
The Jerk said:
auxillary fuse block with one wire from the battery to the block and run your acc. from there. jiMMy
ditto, you need some kind of terminal block. I REALLY hope that the crowded battery post at least has a bunch of wires running off it with inline fuse holders, otherwise you are begging to become the world's next car-b-cue Ask me how i know:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
foley said:

ditto, you need some kind of terminal block. I REALLY hope that the crowded battery post at least has a bunch of wires running off it with inline fuse holders, otherwise you are begging to become the world's next car-b-cue Ask me how i know:rolleyes:
any part numbers of sorts?

0/2 guage to starter -no fuse
8 or 6 to stock main thing that has the main fuses (dont know name, passenger side fender on a toyota)
wire to GM 1-wire - no fuse
+ relay for rock lights - fused
+ switch for rock lights - fused
+ to switch for wipers (rigged and no fuse)
+ cb - fused
+ to autometer voltmeter - no fuse

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
you can get good ones at marine stores, you want one that u run 1 main + wire to teh block and then all 12 gauge 14 gauge wires come off that. painless makes one that im sure is pricy with all the wires included, look on summit. i eliminated everything by just getting an entire harness for my entire rig i built from the ground up. jiMMy

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
mobil1syn said:

any part numbers of sorts?

0/2 guage to starter -no fuse
8 or 6 to stock main thing that has the main fuses (dont know name, passenger side fender on a toyota)
wire to GM 1-wire - no fuse
+ cb - fused
+ to autometer voltmeter - no fuse
Sorry, no P/N's try your local stereo shop, or a marine supply store. The marine stores will have one's that aren't so Bling Bling, but the stereo shops will have some for bigger wire. When I worked in car audio we stocked the glittery gold shiny ones and the nice black abs plastic "no frills" models.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+ cb - fused

i would like to run one wire in and then these out. looks like i will be hitting up my local marine shop. thanks

·
Registered
1,485 Posts

Found it at Advance Auto Parts for $8.
(1) #8 or (2) #10 wires -for trailer brakes- and it's cleaned up :flipoff2:

Each circuit is worth 30A and fusible.
[don't forget the relays]

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Buy yourself a stereo distribution block.....2 gauge in a 4 10 gauge auxiliary outs......I run 2 of these in my truck for all my accesories......JC Whitney has them for about 14.00 each.....

·
In GOD we trust. USA
13,089 Posts
motorhead72k5 said:
If you're really cheap, 67-72 Chevy trucks have a single post terminal.
Damn.....gotta go have a couple more beers before that pic looks right. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Gracias.
You need to add some Rustoleum around there ;)

With that connection- does this setup affect the CB/radio ?

I think I have a Ground LOOP caused by some wiring (Yeh, I'm stilla Newbie :flipoff2:).

I won't get in to engine specs just yet.

Maybe I need to start another fawkin topic
:fj:

·
Registered
449 Posts
foley said:

otherwise you are begging to become the world's next car-b-cue Ask me how i know:rolleyes:
I will never run any wires to my battery without a fuse. A while ago on the way to hollister after I had just gotten my truck I put my CB and Stereo (yellow and red) all on one wire, no fuse. Needless to say after about 30minutes on the freeway my cardboard floormats with wire on top were on fire. :eek:

What was really fucking scary was when I showed up at Hollister finally I found out I was leaking gas from the fuel filter. It turns out the burnt/melted wire (disconnected by now obviously) had been sitting on top of my fuel filter and started to burn through it :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
GonZu said:
Gracias.
You need to add some Rustoleum around there ;)

With that connection- does this setup affect the CB/radio ?

Yeah, I do need to do something there. I have no problems with the CB, I don't have a working radio so that is not an issue. I don't have any accessories on them yet. They are for my alt. and to send power to my fuse box.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Lets see.. I have gotten myself down to 5, but it is still quite a few.. but i think the easiest way to do it is have all of them on a marine terminal.. screwed on. Works well, and makes it easy to add another cable. There are alot of other options though. You may want to look through my del city catalog to get some ideas. Give me a call if you want to walk over and borrow it.

Garrett

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't mean to interrupt, but I am now wondering if it is not safe to have my winch positive cable bolted directly to the positive lead on the battery. This shouldn't be fused, should it?
It is a warn 9000xdi.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You can get one of those auxillary terminals off of 4th gen Firebirds/ Gaymaros. They'd be a lot cleaner than something from back in the mid 70's from the junkyard:D

Easy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts