Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruise Control problem

Yeah, it's not "hardcore rockcrawling" tech, but I need the goddamn problem solved before I head out to TDS. I've got 6,000 miles of driving to do and can't stand it when shit doesn't work.

The truck is an 89 SR5 (4WD ext. cab), 22RE/G58

The cruise control light will come on intermittently, flashing at a steady rate. I figure this is some sort of "cruise control MIL" but the guys at my local Toy dealer service dept couldn't give me an answer. They want me to bring it in so they can charge me $$ for a diagnostic. :rolleyes:

When it's flashing the cruise won't work. The horn stopped working, which I believe is the switch since I replaced the horn 6 months ago. Oil pressure gauge also stopped working. It sits at "0" all the time.

I checked for error codes from the ECU although I expected to find nothing since my problem is not EFI related. I don't know where the goddamn cruise control module is except for the actuator or else I'd go check it.

What I think is there's a wiring problem in the steering column harness which would explain the horn failure and cruise problem. The oil gauge *I think* is either a wiring problem or gauge failure, as the oil pressure switch itself works OK.

Anybody have any ideas? Maybe even know where the cruise module is? I'm kinda at a loss here. Haven't hit cruise wiring with the DMM yet for any more info, sorry.

Hef :confused:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You're gonna need a FSM. The factory cruise in these trucks is pretty complex. There's a lengthy section in there on troubleshooting.

Find a manual on eBay, it will pay for itself pretty quickly if you intend to keep the truck for long.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts