Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very confused.

I was looking at Woody's site and thinking about the frame length of a cruiser.

According to that scanned file the frame length is 133" from bemper to the END of the bumperetts.

When I measured my frame yesterday I got closer to 145.5" from the front of the bumper to the rear x member (no bumperettes)
Now counting the 6" worth of bumperettes WTF am I missing? I can't believe that I missed measuring by like 18"!!!

Heck, it is like 131" just to the rear axle! and that number jives with the 14.5" from the rear axle to the rear x member!


:confused:

Anyone have a cruiser and a measuring tape handy??? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Jason M said:
I am very confused.

I was looking at Woody's site and thinking about the frame length of a cruiser.

According to that scanned file the frame length is 133" from bemper to the END of the bumperetts.

When I measured my frame yesterday I got closer to 145.5" from the front of the bumper to the rear x member (no bumperettes)
Now counting the 6" worth of bumperettes WTF am I missing? I can't believe that I missed measuring by like 18"!!!

Heck, it is like 131" just to the rear axle! and that number jives with the 14.5" from the rear axle to the rear x member!


:confused:

Anyone have a cruiser and a measuring tape handy??? ;)
I show(but not measured) a fj40 being 133" in the Toyota frame specs. You are measuring a 40 right?

Dumb question, I don't suppose you are using a 100' tape like I have with a foot cut out of it(from when I riped it) half the time I forget I cut and spliced...makes measuring a real bitch!

John H
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually it starts at 5'
:)
I already considered that..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Butch, go measure a frame.
I have measured three frames now and come up with ~144" everytime.
And yes that is with two different tapes.

What is the 133" based on??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,084 Posts
Jason M said:
Butch, go measure a frame.

Why am I being sent to measure a frame?

There is a 40, a 45 SWB and a 60 in the driveway, which?, and it will be in the morning in the daylight......provided I get a decent reason for this......

Butch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
texican said:
Jason M said:
Butch, go measure a frame.

Why am I being sent to measure a frame?

There is a 40, a 45 SWB and a 60 in the driveway, which?, and it will be in the morning in the daylight......provided I get a decent reason for this......

Butch

To make sure that I am not insane :)

40 please.


What happened is that I was basing my suspension modeling on the acrobat file on Woody's site. It mentions 133" as the length of a cruiser frame. from the bumper to the bumperettes.. I cannot even come close to this.

If you do it I'll send you a SNLC shirt ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
texican said:
I'll do it as soon as church is over. XL please
Butch
Stop drinking shiner and go to bed ;)

You got it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,084 Posts
Can't for another 20 min. got a loaf of Shiner Beer bread in the oven:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Butch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
i got some bad news for ya, mine is like 145..............so wheres my tshirt? :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,084 Posts
Kristie & I measured 2 I had here at the shop, an 81 and a 77 both stock. 143" front edge of frame to flat side of rear x member that the taillights mount into.

Butch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh woooddy...

The scanned cruiser dimensions on your site are wrong ;)



Thanks guys,
This was confusing the hell out of me and the guy desiging my suspension.

A 133" frame with a 104.5" wb would look really crazy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
How much does the cruiser (fj40) frame weigh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
jbt said:
How much does the cruiser (fj40) frame weigh?
Enough that two guys can easily pick one up and put it on a boat trailer. Can't be more than 100-125 pounds and probably a bit less. How's that for a non-answer:flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Jason M said:
Oh woooddy...

The scanned cruiser dimensions on your site are wrong ;)

Thanks guys,
This was confusing the hell out of me and the guy desiging my suspension.

A 133" frame with a 104.5" wb would look really crazy
I imagine they came from the same place my 133" frame measurements came from. The Factory Land Cruiser repair manual for chassis and body(printed in 1971) guess they made a boo boo!

John H
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Landpimp said:


I imagine they came from the same place my 133" frame measurements came from. The Factory Land Cruiser repair manual for chassis and body(printed in 1971) guess they made a boo boo!

John H
Must be, even the FJ25 was not 133"...


Ballard, Can you send the Autocad file to me in a format that solidworks can read?

My e-mail can handle very large files.
Or I can give you a FTP address to send it to..

Thanks!!!
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top