Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any idea where to get the heater valve for a 74 fj40? CCOT wants 58 bucks for the valve, surely there is a cheaper alternative. I'm looking for the valve that mounts to the firewall.

Donald:confused:

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I've installed two of the manual shutoffs on all of my 40's one on each side of the hoses, this way if I get a leak I can shut them both and fix it later.
Butch

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I think Butch is talking about the water valve you can buy at Home depot or any hardware store.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I could just throw something like that in for a temp fix until it gets warm and then I find a better valve. You guys are so smart!!!

Donald;)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Ok, I need pictures of this. I am getting ready to hook my heater up in a couple of days.

Is this the valve that will alow you to shut off the hot water coming into the heater core so warm air is not allways blowing out? I would really like to get a picture, or a blow by blow detail of this...if possible.

Thanks....

·
Registered
881 Posts
Do you meen like this?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Auto parts stores keep the manual shutoffs, in 5/8 & 3/4 nipples.
Install one on each of the hoses, close to the motor, and if you develop a leak you can close the system down.
Butch

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I guess my biggest quetion is...when you close it down, don't you still want the water to circulate????

So, on the motor side, before the shut off valves, dont you want to t-them together?? So you make the loop just after the motor, not at the heater core. Or does that even matter???

I was just thinking that my last cruiser didn't have either, and it always seemed like the heater was on low. I just want some way to keep the heat out of the cab...if possible.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
These will totally close the circulation, or you "could" barely open one for some circulation, however in my experience........in Texas, in a 40 you only need heat when it's butt cold, and then you need all it can give ya'....Shut 'em in March, open 'em in Nov.....
Butch

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yea, here you need them in the early morn and nights... But during the day...nope.

Usually, when it gets uncomfortable, we are crawling at the hammers. It is hot outside, and it gets real hot in the cab with no shut off valve! I have always wondered about that. Cool that will save me some time and money trying to make it different.

Thanks for your help gus!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts