Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the best, nobody gives anyone greif, they just try to help the next guy, very rare quality,have asked for help on other sights and get nothing but :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: thanx for all the help :D :D sorry just venting :shaking:

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree that Cruiser people are special:

When I siezed my engine being a DF, three people I didn't know offered their help and now they are my friends.

Now that I am looking for an 80/LX450 two people who I have never met in other states are inspecting vehicles for me and asking nothing in return but a Beer when we meet.

When I asked a simple question on the GMC site I got bounced to the newbie section because I didn't know if I had to change the whole fuel pump to replace the sender.

Cruiser people are special. My wife who doesn't trust a lot of people and thinks everyone is out for themselves is in awe by what she sees of the cruiser community.

Ken Romer, proud cruiser owner/member and believer Cruiser Karma!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
So true about Cruiser owners. I have been around Cruiser owners off and on since 1981. I have never quite pidgeon-holed what makes us special, but I have noticed some consistent characteristics and commonalities:

1. Cruiser owners have a basic mutual respect for each other at first glance because we know the fellow Cruiserhead has chosen one of the toughest and best-engineered-from-the-factory light truck 4x4s ever made. Though it happens, few Cruiser owners bought into TLCs (esp. FJs & HJs) without knowing their inherent strength, especially in comparison to heeps. Oops! I should capitalize the "h" in Heeps.:D Lotsa kids dive into owning Heeps and 4x4 pickups without knowing their benefits/drawbacks. I can't count the number of times a Crusier owner has approached me in a parking lot just to talk Cruisers. I'm sure other Cruiserheads have experienced the same. And to the best of my knowledge, only TLC drivers and Heep drivers wave at each other (within brand) on the road.

2. Most Cruiserheads have experienced the prejudice, occasional mistreatment, or overall cold shoulder attitude from Heep owners out on rough trails. This was particularly ridiculous in the AMC years. I can't count the number of broken AMC Heeps I came across with sheered-off keys in AMC20 rear shafts, let alone all the other breakdowns due to the weak parts AMC put on Heeps to save mfr expense during the late 70s/early 80s bad economy and to save weight during the gas crisis. AMC paid for their cost cutting with rollover suits that made them discontinue the CJs. Did anyone notice that the leaf-sprung YJs were a poor imitation of an FJ40? Remember the springs went from (what?)1-3/4" wide (CJ) to 2-3/4" wide (YJ) like FJs and the stance nearly matched a stock FJ40 (OK, maybe a little lower). I could go on...

3. Cruiser owners, on average tend to be a bit older (even more so today :p) than owners of other 4x4s, save flatfender owners. This obviously brings a maturity to our clan that can only enhance our cohesiveness.:barf: And most of us don't live by our respective egos or consider our Cruiser an extention of a certain part of our anatomy (buggy drivers excepted!).

4. Even today, Cruiserheads only have a small # of non-Toyota parts sources and Cruiser-expert repair shops. This sparcity of available parts/service brings us together to swap such info, and did so even before the PBB and other BBs. And most of us really appreciate good Cruiser tips, especially for the rarer Cruisers [witness our always respectful PBB posts!]. Heep owners can get parts from a myriad of sources and nearly every 4x4 shop knows how to work on Heeps. So they don't need to network much.

5. The aftermarket makes few bolt-ons for Cruisers in comparison to Heeps. And what bolt-ons are available don't often meet our discriminating tastes.:cool2: We have to build more of our stuff that makes a Cruiser built, not bought.:smokin: And we enjoy sharing such self-engineered experience. Heeps owners have too much to choose from. Even the latest Heeps have a plethora of aftermartket stuff out within the first year. They rarely have to make their own componets and yet still brandish "Jeeps are built, not bought" stickers.:rolleyes: And don't we appreciate Bobby Long and other such small-business innovators who keep upgrading their stuff made for decades-old Cruisers?

6. Since Toyota made relatively few changes to TLCs (esp. FJ/HJs) over the years in terms of engines and drivelines, we Cruiserheads can carry a fairly small number of spare parts that we can use to help most any other Cruiser in trouble, especially if they stayed with mostly stock stuff.:cool2: Don't ask me why most Cruiserheads are generous with their spares on the trail [asshats excepted], I said I don't have it all figured out. Some call it a belief in Cruiser karma [WRONG!]. My guess is Cruiserheads appreciate TLCs so much that we would hate to see a Cruiser abandoned on the trail, left to the vultures. In the case of our helping out strangers, maybe we've had so many good experiences with Cruiserheads, we treasure the opportunity to make new Cruiser friends. And blessing others does bring God's blessings upon onesself.:)

7. I think Cuiserheads appreciate practicality over style, strength over beauty, etc. We like how well-modified Cruisers make form follow function. We've somehow garnered a certain wisdom from owning Cruisers. I relish the outlook I've earned, or at least obtained, from my TLC ownership. I expect other TLC owners do, as well. And others, even other 4x4 owners, just don't get it, do they?

We do have some minor faults, though. None of us are "rock gods", so dump that from your profile [Landpimp, FC187, 70Cruzer, etc.] :flipoff2: And some of us write too much. :p

Hope to meet you on the trail sometime. As to whether I have any spares you can use......

Walt<><

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
4x4Poet said:
3. Cruiser owners, on average tend to be a bit older (even more so today :p) than owners of other 4x4s, save flatfender owners. This obviously brings a maturity to our clan that can only enhance our cohesiveness.:barf: And most of us don't live by our respective egos or consider our Cruiser an extention of a certain part of our anatomy (buggy drivers excepted!).
hey, i just turned 18 and i have been die-hard since 14! i'm even in charge of a land cruiser club! I ROCK!

·
Registered
556 Posts
And thats....the rest of the story....

Nice words...I agree...the only comradarie Heeps have are the wave which they made a homosexual set of guidelines to follow on who initiates the wave... :rolleyes:

I always wave and will help and talk with fellow cruiserheads and generally agree with everyone's belief around here.

Now the 80 series people...;)

and I've also used the term: Clear the snorkle

·
Registered
608 Posts
Mr McGee said:
hey, i just turned 18 and i have been die-hard since 14! i'm even in charge of a land cruiser club! I ROCK!

I forgot to mention they are Humble too!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
funny how no one on the Cruiser part of PBB needs to be bitch slaped my a mod......heck is there even a mod here?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no need

Landpimp said:
funny how no one on the Cruiser part of PBB needs to be bitch slaped my a mod......heck is there even a mod here?
AMEN BROTHER! see what i mean.not to be boulderish but.... it's all good :D :D

·
Zeus of the Sluice
4,740 Posts
4x4Poet said:
We do have some minor faults, though. None of us are "rock gods", so dump that from your profile [Landpimp, FC187, 70Cruzer, etc.] :flipoff2: And some of us write too much. :p

Hope to meet you on the trail sometime. As to whether I have any spares you can use......

Walt<><
once again, you are a fool walter! :shaking: a long winded fool :flipoff2:

people who have "rock god" under their avitar are not self proclaimed "rock gods" we simply have never changed it. back in the day, as your post count increased, your tittle changed from pavement pounder, to rock stacker,to ramp champ, to wheeler, to granite guru, to zeus of the sluice and eventually Rock god. I think they changed it a couple years ago because certain people would clog up the forums with BS like poems and spelling corrections just to pad their post count. :flipoff2:

BUT,.... if you like I will change it just for you Walter :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
thats funny I never even noticed what it said, yeah your right I aint no Rock God.......... :flipoff2:

fc187 said:
once again, you are a fool walter! :shaking: a long winded fool :flipoff2:

people who have "rock god" under their avitar are not self proclaimed "rock gods" we simply have never changed it. back in the day, as your post count increased from rock stacker, to pavement pounder, to ramp champ, to granite guru, and eventually Rock god. They changed it a couple years ago because certain people would clog up the forums with BS like poems and spelling corrections just to pad theit post count. :flipoff2:

BUT,.... if you like I will change it just for you Walter :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
you know when you go out on a lake and there's a boat out there with the loudest stereo, nice tower and boards,....... and nothing but 4 dudes looking cool but no hot chicks on the boat? that's a sausage party! get my drift?!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Only those with springovers get the title walter. you goober, poet, dork. :D :D
:grinpimp:
All in fun, I actually agree with most of what he says, I just would have said it in alot less words. :D

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Landpimp said:
Well we never really wanted a mod. and Jeff was the closest thing to nothing they could find...... :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
(now you know why he asked me to sub once) :D

Butch

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
fc187 said:
people who have "rock god" under their avitar are not self proclaimed "rock gods" we simply have never changed it. back in the day, as your post count increased, your tittle changed from pavement pounder, to rock stacker,to ramp champ, to wheeler, to granite guru, to zeus of the sluice and eventually Rock god. I think they changed it a couple years ago because certain people would clog up the forums with BS like poems and spelling corrections just to pad their post count. :flipoff2:
Glad you all enjoyed (somewhat) my reflection on Cruiserheads. I meant every word about TLC folks and most of what I said about Heep owners. I couldn't resist the little dig to see the reaction. Thanks for taking the bait, FC187! Funny progressive sequence. You should have known I skipped "ramp champ", as any SUA advocate would have to. :D

Walt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts