Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do these people come up with the value of their rigs??

I saw a cruiser in town today, and it was decent shape. Fairly original, not the greatest thing out there, but the guy wanted 8k for it. Good lord. 8k for a 74 cruiser with a 6/4 speed and some lift shackles?? Damn...

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
There was a tan 40 in carson for sale. 80ish.
LOTS of bondo.. Dam magnet would not stick anywhere.

14K...

I think people are typically on crack ;)

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I laughed my ass off when the guy told me how much. He must have thought I was an asshole. :laughing:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah i call it "cruisers fer crack".....these people who have been puffin on the crack pipe too long and need another fix.

Its just insane that in this economy...with these gas prices...to think that someone is going to fork out that kinda cash for a money pit-gas guzzling cruiser!

btw.... ive got an fj55 for sale.....

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/siretc/lst?.dir=/FJ55+Landcruiser&.view=t

whaddya think i should ask?

:p

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I call it the "Added Value Spiral"... a lot of these trucks were purchased by their current owners during "The Madness" (1997-2001), so these people are already in the hole to begin with. Then they spend a couple of hundred dollars worth of Taiwanese parts from CCOT, get some lift shackles and some halfway-decent tires and a Maaco paint job, and now they want to make that money back. They do a quick search on the Internet, notice the "BUY IT NOW" options on Ebay and decide their Cruisers are worth at least that. Months go by, the For Sale sign is now faded and curling at the edges, and still no solid offers. Wife's bitching, IRS deadline is looming, and now they gotta get rid of it, but they still don't want to accept that they overpaid for them. Finally, some enthusiastic, ill-informed newbie (who's looked at the same sites as the owner) comes along, pays too much for the Cruiser, and the cycle starts all over again. While this is happening the Cruiser continues to deteriorate, OEM parts continue to be replaced with cheap aftermarket and the rust advances. Somewhere down the line, someone is going to take a BIG hit when they finally understand that it's really a parts truck, but until that day comes, these Cruisers (and there are hundreds of them) continue to maintain an artificial market.

That's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Tell me about it. When I was looking for my truck I can't tell you how many "stockish" rigs I looked at or found that were in the $5-8K range. I'm talking about semi-decent stock height or shackle lifted F/2F stock 3 speed rigs. After all that I thought for sure that my rig, or one like it was gonna cost me $12k or more. I was happy when I found my truck. Some would say I payed too much for it but I figured a $1k rig plus all the upgrades my truck has that I couldn't have built her for less. What kills me is nicely built rigs going for $25k and up. It's friggin rediculous what some people will shell out for a nice truck. I can't figure it out. I could never sell any of my crap for the high prices some people get for junk. Not that I wouldn't, just that I would never think to ask the fukin crazy prices some people do. Like $120 or whatever it was for those door catches on ebay.:eek:

Turtle,
Looks to me like you got a $15k rig there bro!

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
i saw one go for $7500 the other day and it was rusty as, 3f was the only mod, and 31" mud tyres :eek:

i was almost on the floor that is stupid high!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts