Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cruiser started having problems starting about a week ago and I kept jump starting it and it would start fine for a couple of times until the morning. I assumed that the battery was dying so I bought a brand new Optima Yellow top and I still can't get the thing to start. I can't even jump start it anymore. All I get is a clicking sound. I just went and tryed to start it and it clicked a couple of times and then died. Is the starter gone? Or do I have a loose connection? It's so cold in this damn state I can't really spend much time out there looking at it. Just wanted some ideas how to get her starting back up again.

Donald

:mad:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The clicking is most likely the solenoid working. Since it is not turning the starter motor, the possibilities are bad brushes in the starter motor, bad high current contacts in the solenoid or a bad connection in the starter wire or ground. The most likely ones are the brushes or contacts. Usually you can get it to work by pounding on the starter with a jack handle to seat the worn brushes or contacts until you have time and the inclination to change the starter.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I would say you have a bad starter. What are you running F, 2F, 350? Check your battery cables also, I had a cable once that caused the same problem.:skull:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
did the Optima battery have a full charge on it? If they sit too long...an alternator will not charge it...you will have to charge it with a good battery charger over night....that was my prob....once I had good charge....no prob!

·
Registered
836 Posts
The starter solinoid is bad, had it happen to me...if you were to bring it inside, and it would start, that means that the solinoid's bad. They act up in cold weather much better than warm, I ran mine all summer on the bad solinoid after it stopped working in the cold.

Cheap fix, you don't have to replace the starter, just the solinoid.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you are running an "F" or "2F" it sounds like a good time to get a mini-truck starter. They are much smaller than the factory cruiser stuff, and have a bit mort torque to boot. Just a thought.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I changed out the starter today and charged the battery and it still wouldn't start! I jumped started it though, which is an improvement. I can drive it around but when I stop the damn thing still won't start up! Is it the alternator? So far I've put a Optima Yellow top and a starter in it and I'm still in the same boat.

Donald

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Pin Head said:
Check the ground strap from the engine to the frame.
Also pull all your electrical connectors and clean the contacts. You could be losing some voltage through some bad connections.

Or ( not likely but it is possible ) you may even have a broken wire inside the insulation where you can't see it.

You may want to get out the old volt meter and start doing some voltage and resistance checks.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Donald Butcher said:
could in not be the alltenator?
Not if you charged the battery externally. I would check the wires. When I first got my cruiser I went thru this, I ended up replacing the positive and negative battery cables and never had a problem since.

·
Discount!
4,540 Posts
See what happens when you listen to people! Don't start changing parts until you know whats wrong! It's been mentioned several times already, but I'll say it again, check all related wiring, connections, etc. Go so far as to cut into your battery cables with a knife and check that they are not corroded through. Check it all, clean it all, and replace any bad wires or connectors. Then let us know what you find.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just picked up a new alternator and put it in because it was only $28 and I got some new battery cables, but I haven't had a chance to install the battery cables yet. When I jump start it and drive it the lights light up real good. When I stop the lights start to dim and the cruiser starts to die. Could the voltage regulator be bad? It does have an external voltage regulator. Keep coming with the ideas and I'll try to keep up with testing them.

thanks

Donald

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fixed it! It was a bad Optima from the start! I bought a bad battery and replaced everything else. Well I've got some new parts in her now! I'm such a dum ass.

thanks for all the help
Donald:rolleyes:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a different Optima and it still won't start my damn cruiser. the old battery works fine. I really don't know what to say. I guess I'll just stick with the old cheapy that works!!!!!!!

Donald

1 - 15 of 15 Posts