Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my '85 axle to start rebuilding for my SAS on my '91 4Runner, but the driver's side spring perch is crushed in the rear, and I don't know what I should do. I've looked around and can't find any aftermarket perches that are similar in height and width. I was thinking of heating the perch and bending it back into place and welding a gusset along the bottom to help support it, but I don't want to warp the housing or anything, and the perch looks ripped on the side anyways. Any suggestions on what to do?

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
A local generic 4x4 shop carryies all different types of "Warrior Products" spring perches for like $17 for 2. Thats what I used when I needed to replace my rear ones when I was rotating my pinion up.

But to answer you question. Here is what you do. Since the driver side perch is 3/8" lower than the passenger side just weld some 3/8" flat bar on top of the existingone. Thus creating a new flat perch. This is what I did to my axle because I bent my spring perches before I got a chance to re-enforce them. Its been like that for at least 3 years now with no more problems. Just lay in the weld around the end that is bent down before hand and grind it have way level before doing your final weld.

If you look at the picture closely you can see that the old eom perch was bend down in the front.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I would recomend what ever you go with make sure its got solid bracing under where the spring sits, like the picture in the previous thread.I had the allpro ones and they lasted about 3 months and the were crushed.I could have saved them If I re welded a pice under the sping to the axle.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The front perches take a lot of load. Whatever you put on make
sure the ends are plated up. If not, they will bend over time and
the u-bolt tension on the springs will go away. That can eventually
lead to a broken center pin.
Jay

·
Banned
5,353 Posts
Don't get the Ubolt eliminator kit I have one that is cracked and I am going back to conventional perches. I picked mine up at 4WP for. Only problem I am having now is getting Ubolts. Their hours are the same as my work hours and closed on weekends.......

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I welded a piece of 1/4" plate to the top of my right rear perch after it collapsed to make it flat again, and filled in the gap at the front with a small piece of 1/4" plate before welding it all down.

Obviously, you have to add an equal thickness to the other perch to keep them level. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts