Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I have found a 1981 Toyota, which, according to the VIN number, is a "Deluxe Long Bed 4WD". The owner said that I could have it for free, but, as you can see from the pictures, there is a damage on the cabin caused by a fallen tree. As best as I could determine, the passenger-side door, the entire front - fenders, hood, firewall, as well as the inside of the cabin are not damaged.

It is my understanding that the cabin can be (relatively easily) replaced. A nice member on yotatech.com advised that any cabin from 79-83 would work. However, I called, visited web pages, of the junk yards in my area (Escondido, CA), but there is no Toyota there within those years. Any other ideas where to look, i.e., is there a place that would specialize in Toyota body parts?

Alternatively, is there any hope to have it repaired?

Thank you for your time.

M

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 Jeep DJ5 LQ9 V8
17 Posts
You can pay to have just about anything fixed, but I think if a shop fixed this it wouldn't be worth it $$$.
I think your best bet is to find another truck to chop up. Maybe buy another truck locally that also has damage to a different part of it, and then sell what ever you don't use to make some money back.
Are old Toyotas just really hard to find where you live? Or too expensive? Thats going to be a big project especially if your a beginner welder and body work guy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi PNWGERMAN,

thank you for the reply. It appears that the older Toyotas are difficult to buy. Several people I know have them, but hold of them for their dear life.

I will keep looking at junkyards, craigslist, e-bay for one with damage at different part as you suggested.

Kindest regards,

M

·
Registered
1982 Jeep DJ5 LQ9 V8
17 Posts
Good luck. Its always good to see a cool truck get saved.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For free I'd jump on it. If it has a title, even better. Unless you have the skills to fix it I wouldn't put the money in it. Stash it away and keep looking for a cab or another truck. I'm in Arizona and know of a couple places that buy up everything they can. Not cheap but, they have a LOT of parts and complete trucks. What's really sad to see is the huge volume of Toyota trucks being hauled south of the border. No wonder they're hard to find. You probably need to make a road trip if you're serious about building it. Good luck. Keep looking and put the word out everywhere you can.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Beat95YJ,

could you please clarify, search results do not seem to be applicable to "f-toy".

Kindest regards,

M

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi aztoyman,

yes, it has a title.

I actually will be going to AZ visit a friend who lives in Phoenix. He has a big truck and visits from time to time, so if you could share some of the places, I would be grateful. If you do not want to share it publicly, please p.m. me or e-mail me.

I have been doing some research, and it seems that if I could get the cabin, the replacement is not that difficult.

The current plan is to use high-jack to straighten the roof as much as possible so that I can get in, and see if it will start. Last time it was running was about two years ago. It has the 22R engine.

Kindest regards,

M

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi NorCalJalopy,

thank you for the options. I think that the swap is the only option. I do not think that any hardcore off-roading is for me, I just want to explore some of the fire-roads/dirt-roads, as I did on a dirt bike.

Hi aztoyman,

thank you.

Kindest regards,

M

·
Registered
354 Posts
If I had a 1981 Toyota with a title and 22R, I would save it by cutting the roof off something else, and then install a real interior roll cage. Maybe an exo cage. Just about any MIG welder would handle putting the roof back on, BUT, it would be for show and nicely closing doors.

The structure itself is gone and never would be the same. After cutting the windshield pillars of a FSB decades ago and seeing all that folded metal inside the simple looking sheet metal, when you weld a roof back on, you never get the original strength because you are only welding the thin outside metal. I imagine a Toyota is built the same way to pass government regs.

I would save it because you have a title on an older Toyota, so, it will always have value. If this was a 1984-1992 Ford Ranger, literally one of a million, I would say save the frame and swap the body because it will never be worth more then $2000 with a standard transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings all,

I have found a 1981 Toyota, which, according to the VIN number, is a "Deluxe Long Bed 4WD". The owner said that I could have it for free, but, as you can see from the pictures, there is a damage on the cabin caused by a fallen tree. As best as I could determine, the passenger-side door, the entire front - fenders, hood, firewall, as well as the inside of the cabin are not damaged.

It is my understanding that the cabin can be (relatively easily) replaced. A nice member on yotatech.com advised that any cabin from 79-83 would work. However, I called, visited web pages, of the junk yards in my area (Escondido, CA), but there is no Toyota there within those years. Any other ideas where to look, i.e., is there a place that would specialize in Toyota body parts?

Thank you for your time.

M
My friend has an 81 cab/frame in huntington beach that he's going to sell.. could be a perfect fit with your needs, and close to you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A nice member on yotatech.com advised that any cabin from 79-83 would work.

M

This is not true
There is a difference between the 2wd and 4wd cabs. If you get a 2wd cab you will need to modify the the body mounts inorder to get it to fit. Its not hard to do, but its something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greetings all,

Thank you for your time.

M
Convertible?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi 4x4prepper,

thank you for your reply. I understand that the structure is compromised; furthermore, I could not even fathom how to straighten it to the point that the windshield would fit. But, I need to straighten it, so that I can get inside and work on stripping all the parts from the cabin.

Hi nails,

thank you for your reply. Could you p.m. me his contact to see whether we can make it happen?

Hi rxslinger,

thank you for your reply. I specified that it is a 4WD car. With this clarification, are the years correct?

Hi 884Lps,

thank you, I needed the laugh.

Would anybody know if an extended cabin fit? With modification of the bed of course. Just to give me more options.

Kindest regards,

M

·
Registered
18 Posts
Id cut off top put on a jeep windshield and make or buy a roll cage with a top pannel or tarp tightly installed.
They used to sell convertable tops but you need the windshield for that. If you do a cab swap get lots of helpers so many things to detach / attach.
I like how the cut off tree that fell on it is still next to it.
Definatly get it! I had a 76 2wd in the 80s and it ran great just be sure to check transmission oil level .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Redramman,

as this is intends to be a traveling vehicle, I would prefer to have "real" cabin, not a tarp or other band-aid like solution. The helpers will be a problem, as I, and the car, are in the middle of nowhere. If all works according to the plan, I will detach all the needed parts myself, and then invite friends for a few hours to help me remove the old cabin and move in place the new one. Then, I will again be on my own again.

Yes, the current owner does not live here permanently, so he does just the minimum maintenance of the property, hence the tree. Good eye, BTW.

Getting the vehicle got a little complicated. When I talked to the owner in person in winter, it was a done deal. I called him a few days ago just to make sure, and his response, was "I have to think about it for a few days. Perhaps I will keep it." Considering, that he visits every two years or so, it is unrealistic. But, it is his car, so . . .

Kindest regards,

M

1 - 20 of 23 Posts