Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three times I have tried setting the crush sleeve on my 14, and three times I have ended up too tight.

I'll get the nut down to about zero endplay and check it (usually 0 in-lb). Then I'll tug on it once and check (usually about 5in-lb), then pull on it just a *tiny* bit more, and all of a sudden it's jumped to 40 in-lb.

The last time I screwed it up, I was just about as careful as you could possibly be, and it still wound up too far off.

There's got to be a fawking trick to it. Either that, or I'm just supposed to run it like it is. I know it has a tiny window, but *that* small???

WTF am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
you got the wrong crush sleeve you have a 86 and older 14bolt crush sleeve and you must have a 87 or newer 14 bolt wich needs a little longer c/s if i had to guess

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The diff is a 70-something. The sleeves that are coming out of the diff have been crushed... they look "normal", anyway.

I'm doing it by hand -- have a holder to keep the yoke from turning, then I'm spinning the nut with a 3/4" breaker bar and 3' cheater.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
sclemons said:
I'm doing it by hand -- have a holder to keep the yoke from turning, then I'm spinning the nut with a 3/4" breaker bar and 3' cheater.
ouch thats the hard way put it in a press and crush it till the play is taken out of it. stand the pinion on the yoke and press on the pilot. crush it till you feel the resistance.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
GearMan said:
ouch thats the hard way put it in a press and crush it till the play is taken out of it. stand the pinion on the yoke and press on the pilot. crush it till you feel the resistance.
  • And this short cut will end with bearing failure if you have any kind of load on the vehicle, bearing peload is critical. The best way is to hold the pinion gear head with alum. in a large vise and turn the pinion nut and rotate the pinion support checking for the preload. steve differential eng. inc.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
steve gerstner said:
  • And this short cut will end with bearing failure if you have any kind of load on the vehicle, bearing peload is critical. The best way is to hold the pinion gear head with alum. in a large vise and turn the pinion nut and rotate the pinion support checking for the preload. steve differential eng. inc.
not in 15 years has it happened how would it you still set preload to 30 inch.lbs. im just telling him a smarter way to get close. i didnt say crush it till you overload it. there is more then one way to do the job properly. your method usally leaves boogers on the support that help creating leaks due to the lack of a o-ring on the support like a ford 9 inch.aluminum helps but i bet this guy isnt doing it with aluminum or some other soft metal. at best he grabbed it with a rag.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
GearMan said:
not in 15 years has it happened how would it you still set preload to 30 inch.lbs. im just telling him a smarter way to get close. i didnt say crush it till you overload it. there is more then one way to do the job properly. your method usally leaves boogers on the support that help creating leaks due to the lack of a o-ring on the support like a ford 9 inch.aluminum helps but i bet this guy isnt doing it with aluminum or some other soft metal. at best he grabbed it with a rag.
  • The gear head is clamped in the vice, not the pinion support. Look ma' no boogers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts