Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last saturday I went with a group of guys from colorado4x4.org up to Crystal mountain and Moody hill...me being the only Land Cruiser on the trip :( as usual... I need some longer shocks up front...STILL...but only after Power Steering...then Hysteer and SOA...hmmm is it ever done? I took my 3 year old Cora along as co-pilot...the highlight was some punk ass kid backing his new ZR2 blazer at high speed into the front of my crusier in the parking lot at the end... :mad3: dumbass...I yell WTF are you doing...16 year old kid was scared and FREAKING...my daughter was in there...in her seat buckled in...barely moved my rig...I have a scratch on my bumper...he wasn't so lucky.

Now I'm getting a weird noise...hmmm...only when coasting and the engine is slowing the cruiser, push the clutch in, it's gone...give it gas, it's gone...only on coasting...sounds like a lot louder version of the gear whine...anything I should look at??? More pics to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
last one for now...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Ben -
I was supposed to join y'all but didn't and I'm :emb: because then I could have seen your rig in person. That thing is sweet :bounce: I have never seen one before.

Did y'all make it to the gravel pit? It's a fun off-shot of Moody, I think.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
:(
I was bummed that I wasn't able to join you guys. I spent most of the day shopping for parts and fixing my rig. If I had been there, your FJ55 wouldn't have been the only cruiser on the trip. I have an FJ40. I did get to run Lefthand on Sunday though. I ended up breaking, but it was only a shock mount. I am 4-for-4 on wheeling trips and breakage. I am just glad that it is little stuff.

Nice 55 by the way.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Were the hubs still locked in when you heard that noise? I could make a similar noise in that 55 when I had all the alcan leaves in the springs. It turned out the slowing was enough to rotate the axle enough for the u-joint to lightly bind (rub). The deceleration rotated the axle downward just a little but it was enough to make the u-joint rub. Cool pics, I really like the two-tone.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
my throw out bearing makes that sound, but it's only noticeable stopped.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cruiser Ken said:
Were the hubs still locked in when you heard that noise? I could make a similar noise in that 55 when I had all the alcan leaves in the springs. It turned out the slowing was enough to rotate the axle enough for the u-joint to lightly bind (rub). The deceleration rotated the axle downward just a little but it was enough to make the u-joint rub. Cool pics, I really like the two-tone.
This happens on normal driving. Hubs unlocked, in 2WD...only on deccel. You push the clutch in it goes away. Doesn't do anything sitting still...the engine has to be slowing the cruiser down. It sounds like a very deep growl/gear whine and seems to be upfront...maybe the hubs aren't unlocking corectly???

Here are the rest of the pics from that day, all the other vehicles if anyone is interested.

username: offroad04
password: wheeler

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2943450093

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2943610093

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Check your throwout bearing. That sounds like a bearing noise you would get out of there.

dima

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Flatty said:
Check your throwout bearing. That sounds like a bearing noise you would get out of there.

dima

How would I check this easily? I probably burned some of the clutch wheeling because of the bad crawl ratio, so I'm wondering if this is causing it. I'll check some more tonight.

Thanks for the comments on the pig...it did really well up there...walked up things that a Jeep on 38's struggled with and followed Rubicon's on 35's up stuff. I think it impressed a few people...wait til she's SOA and locked!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts