Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant decide which to get on an 04' CTD quad cab shortbed, i like driving sticks, but auto's are nice to, cause you dont have to do anything. As far as towing capabilities which is better?

·
Registered
276 Posts
The 6 spd will last longer and hold up better to bombing of the engine. I have an auto because my wife has to drive it too. You need to decide based on how you will use it and what you like to drive.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Ive owned both and for all around I felt more confident with the 6speed. Never let me down or gave me any problems. Towing was nice also since I had 6 gears to choose from to put me in peak power. No my auto when it was stock was really unrealable and eventually lost 2nd gear and it sucked on the freeway, keep in mind my 6 speed was an 02 and the auto was a 99.

My $5,000 auto upgrade is awsome but stock for stock id get the 6 speed unless you plan on dropping another 5K on an aftermarket like most of up auto owners have. Upgrading the speed only requires a $800 clutch

·
Registered
31 Posts
You would probably get better life out of the stick. I bought my 600 with the auto and at less that 700 miles it was already gone. Obviously it wasn't set up properly at the factory. Its down at the dealer now getting replaced with a new unit. If I keep having problems I will be kicking myself for not buying the Ford.

I chose the auto because my wife will be driving this truck everyday and she wasn't going to go back to a stick. I also won't be towing all the time. Maybe 20 to 25 days a year at most, so I am sure I can make the auto last. I don't plan on any bombs so that will help the lifespan.

I also wasn't fond of how the cupholder and plastic tray sat on the floor with the stick. It wasn't a great setup. I suppose it depends on much you plan on using it. If you are towing a couple times a week I would go with the stick unless you are going to go for an aftermarket auto.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
I've got the auto and I like it. Go drive both, I did and found that the auto is a must (for me) for every day driving. The auto's got a good warranty, and if I have my truck over 100,000 miles I may consider getting a different tranny for it. Most likely I'll trade my truck in before then. :D

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
Ive got the 6 spd, and couldnt be happier. It really just came down to personal preference for me, and I like shifting. Gotta have something to do.. My Trail rig is an auto, because rocks are easier to crawl in an auto, but I don't deal with TOO much traffic, so a 6 spd was the way to go.. now that its got just over 4k miles on it, the tranny shifts like butter, although it was a bit stiff when new..
Scott

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've had 5 CTDs and never considered an auto and my next one will be a 6 speed as well. For me an auto would be nothing but aggravation. If you have some circumstance like traffic you might consider one but for me there's no way.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
6 months old (305/555) and has 17,000 miles on my 48RE auto. No probs whatsoever. Drives and tows nice. Auto was a must for me. Wife wont drive a stick and this is our roadtrip/towing vehicle.

As long as you're withing manufacturers limits, drive it right, and service like it should, I don't see why it wont work for you.

My loads
31 foot travel trailer (6000-7000 #)
Durango on car hauler (7800 #)

Pulls in O/D with low tranny temps all day long.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
BTW.... A side note about towing and "choices of gears"... Alot of people tout the 6 sp as having soo many choices that it makes for a better tow rig.

Well... Unless you're towing 18k worth of hay bails, you're likely to almost never start out in 1st. You'll start in 2nd most of the time.

And if your towing life is highway road trips as opposed to around town type stuff - like I suspect ~most~ of us here do... Once you get moving, you're likely to only use 2 ratios 95% of the time anyway. At least I found this to be true caravaning to Moab with another guy in his 6sp 03 HO.

The 6sp guys will drive around in 6th and occasionally shift to 5th. The auto guys will drive in 4th/od and occasionally shift to 3rd. Really not much difference once moving on the highway at all. He's at 0.75 where I'm at 0.69 in our respective OD gears. If either of us downshifts, we've both at 1:1.

Honestly, unless you're hotshotting lots of weight, I don't see the difference as anything more than a personal preference.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
there's a big difference in longivity and reliabilty but only if you are going above the standard hp ratings or towing heavy repeatedly. If you are planning on bombing the truck over about 50 hp and plan to tow you need to either get an ungraded 48re or get the stick. The NV5600 is a very good transmission and is extremely heavy duty. I just installed one on my cummins conversion and that is the beefiest tranny I have ever seen in a light duty truck. But like was said it really is a personal prefference if you aren't going to increase the power (which makes you your own warrenty station anyway with a new truck) there is no reason to chose one over the other except what you like.

-ben

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I HAD a wife who prefeered an auto but didnt mind the six speed. Its so easy to use with the cummins, just let out the clutch, no need to feather in the gas pedel, with so much torque on tap on even at idle. That and its next to impossible to stall because of the computer adding fuel when needed. Even on steep ass San Francisco hills just put it in first and let out the clutch. Take her for a test drive and she will probably wont have a problem with it. I dont understand you guy's let your women make you buy an auto, whats there excuse....I have boobs so that means I cant drive a stick?????

I just dont get, anybody can learn to drive a 6 speed....even if there Special Ed w/ Boobs :p

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
glad i found this. i'm in the market for a CTD right now, late 90's and up, and was wondering about this. what is there to look for/check out when looking at used autos? i've always driven sticks, but the point of getting a tow rig for me is convenience, and an auto is just that. to get anywhere to wheel i usually have to drive through traffic, to get anywhere else, there's traffic. i live near LA so i get that a lot. i don't plan on modding the truck much, probably exhaust, tranny cooler, basic stuff to help efficiency. if i ever do get the itch i suppose i'd pony up for the tranny before doing anything, but at this point i'd rather work on my trail rig.

·
Registered
409 Posts
BigDan said:
I dont understand you guy's let your women make you buy an auto, whats there excuse....I have boobs so that means I cant drive a stick?????

I just dont get, anybody can learn to drive a 6 speed....even if there Special Ed w/ Boobs :p
We bought the auto as a matter of convience. My wife will drive it to work every morning in traffic and didn't feel like stepping back in time to being in high school and driving a stick :) I spend my day driving a 10 speed so when I am on vacation or travelling its nice to not have to shift gears all day long. Heck the auto will hold up just fine if you are reasonable with it. If my 97 Expedition with 140,000 miles with what everyone says has a crappy auto can tow my TT up and down the sierras and occasionally my Jeep around the one in the Dodge should work just fine.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
not trying to hijack, but does it really need it's own thread?

for that matter where can i find what to look for in a used diesel

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have the 6 speed and would not trade for an auto.

Durango, once in 6th I very very rarely ever shift back down to 5th unless I get under 40 empty or under 55 towing.

Take the money you save from getting the 6 speed and invest in an engine brake. I'd much rather have the engine brake than an auto.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
TornadoTJ said:
....Durango, once in 6th I very very rarely ever shift back down to 5th unless I get under 40 empty or under 55 towing....
Same here. In the Moab caravan I mentioned in my post above... I think I can count on 3-4 fingers the times that either of use shifted out of our respective o/d gears - for the entire roundtrip. This includes all the grades @ elevation. Mostly, the downshifts encountered were related to getting stuck in the right lane behind a gas tow rig or an 18 wheeler.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Do you auto guys find you use your brakes a lot going down hill because you can't use your tranny to slow you down? The manual is very nice for hills slowing down when you don't really want to use your breaks. My friend with an auto said that this was his biggest complaint. Just a suggestion if you do hills a lot. Bryan.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i wish the truck i just bought was a 6spd. mine is 94, was it a spd then or 5? and has anyone converted and auto to stick? i think that would be more time and money then it would be to sell it and buy one with the tranny i want. anyway anyone ever swapped?

·
Registered
379 Posts
SLO_Crawlers said:
Do you auto guys find you use your brakes a lot going down hill because you can't use your tranny to slow you down? The manual is very nice for hills slowing down when you don't really want to use your breaks. My friend with an auto said that this was his biggest complaint.
Just a suggestion if you do hills a lot. Bryan.

Diesels dont have the compression braking like a gasser. THe drivetrain drag is what slows down the rig to some degree. But I you had a 12K dual axle behind you that drag is out the window <- ENTER Exhaust Brake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts