Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a diesel two rig for a while now. It will be used for occasional towing, third vehicle duty. I have found a 96 Dodge standard cab, 4x4, cummins, with a auto. It has 130k on it and has been fleet maintained. It probally hasn't had the easiest life but mechanically it has been taken care of.
What are some good/bad things about this year/model and what are somethings I should look at when I go to test drive. I have done some research, looked at fords and chevys, but I think I have decided on a dodge. I feel it can be bought in the 5k to 6k range.
What do you guys think?

BBB :D

Also, what axles and tranny/transfer case will this truck have?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
12v good
auto tranny, could be an issue.
CAD front axle, meh.

For 5k, it's a good deal if it's not beat to death.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
BigBlockBurris said:
I have been looking for a diesel two rig for a while now. It will be used for occasional towing, third vehicle duty. I have found a 96 Dodge standard cab, 4x4, cummins, with a auto. It has 130k on it and has been fleet maintained. It probally hasn't had the easiest life but mechanically it has been taken care of.
What are some good/bad things about this year/model and what are somethings I should look at when I go to test drive. I have done some research, looked at fords and chevys, but I think I have decided on a dodge. I feel it can be bought in the 5k to 6k range.
What do you guys think?

BBB :D

Also, what axles and tranny/transfer case will this truck have?
If the truck is all there and is mechanicaly good,for 5 to 6K I would buy it. :smokin:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not a bad price, but at 130K miles, a tranny is in its future, if it is still stock. Great potential, and not all upgrades are expensive for this 12V model year.
Figure a real tranny will run you about $3500+. Power mods are easy on this motor. D60 front, D70 rear.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well for the engine, it ain't even broken in yet! But that older Dodge auto WILL go out on you eventually, and probably sooner rather than later. That would really be my only concern....

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
and have the KDP taken care of ... if not done already.

But like stated -> check out TDR and other forums to get more info than you're interested in :D

And as long as you don't bomb the truck, the auto tranny will hold up with normal maintenance ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts