1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
about this much....

:D

although I don't actually know, I can imagine it is quite a bit. The trucks have more fender that can be cut than the previous gen. It would definitely be cool to see how it sits. the 3" KORE kit must push the axle forward a bit or there is no way you could cleanly get the 40s to fit. Damn Chrysler making it harder to be unique

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, your truck is what I thought about when I saw this. I wonder what the fender flares are made to fit. They clearly arn't made for the dodge since they cover part of the headlight on the side and still line up with the bumper after it was pushed forward. Also looks like the door was "clearanced to open around the flare. Still a badass setup. Maybe if this does makeit to production in some form, the aftermarket might step up with some bigger shafts for the frontend.

·
Registered
860 Posts
yah, they aren't dodge, probably a superduty. the lines match close enough that you could modify the cutouts to work if you had time and patience, and skill....

definitely cool to see the manufacturer doing it different than sky high piles of crap...

·
Registered
589 Posts
so whats special about the power wagon? it doesn't look any different than a regular 07 dodge to me, other than the lift and winch? diesel power mag had an article on it recently but it really didnt make sense.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
so whats special about the power wagon? it doesn't look any different than a regular 07 dodge to me, other than the lift and winch? diesel power mag had an article on it recently but it really didnt make sense.

The Power Wagon is essentially a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QC SB or RCLB pickup truck equipped with an electronic disconnecting front sway bar, locking axles with 4.56 gears and 33" tires, and a 12,000 Lb winch from the factory. Just like the Rubicon edition of the Wrangler, it is a great choice for someone that wants to build a mild to medium trail rig. It is without a doubt the most capable 4x4 pickup truck ever produced. Buy one slap some 35" tires on it and drive the piss out of it, it comes with Chryslers "Lifetime" warranty.

The "Big" deal with the one in the magazine is it has a Cummins in it, the Cummins is not offered because the Intercooler takes up the same real estate as the Winch. Rumor has it the new Ram will be able to accomidate both.

If you want to build a more serious truck, you would be better off with a regular ram, as eventually you would end up replacing most of the stuff you paid extra for (Same goes for the Wrangler/Rubicon)

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
yah, they aren't dodge, probably a superduty. the lines match close enough that you could modify the cutouts to work if you had time and patience, and skill....

definitely cool to see the manufacturer doing it different than sky high piles of crap...
I would imagine that Chrysler Corp. has the means to whip up a set of custom fender flares:D

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
Actually the skunkworks guys don't get much funding to use for one off parts. They use pretty much whatever is off the shelf and readily available because because custom parts significantly increase the cost of these little projects due to design, and manufacturing costs. I agree that it looks like a typical Super Duty flare and definitely not made to fit a Dodge truck originally.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Power Wagon is essentially a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QC SB or RCLB pickup truck equipped with an electronic disconnecting front sway bar, locking axles with 4.56 gears and 33" tires, and a 12,000 Lb winch from the factory. Just like the Rubicon edition of the Wrangler, it is a great choice for someone that wants to build a mild to medium trail rig. It is without a doubt the most capable 4x4 pickup truck ever produced. Buy one slap some 35" tires on it and drive the piss out of it, it comes with Chryslers "Lifetime" warranty.

The "Big" deal with the one in the magazine is it has a Cummins in it, the Cummins is not offered because the Intercooler takes up the same real estate as the Winch. Rumor has it the new Ram will be able to accomidate both.

If you want to build a more serious truck, you would be better off with a regular ram, as eventually you would end up replacing most of the stuff you paid extra for (Same goes for the Wrangler/Rubicon)
Ilike dodge and ll, but i dont think it is the most capable truck ever produced. I would go more with the Unimog. They are very well engeneered trucks that are very capable. As an example, the 404 weighs aprox 6300 pounds and will carry 4000 pounds. Now before you all say 4000 isnt alot anymore, it will carry that weight in extreme offroad conditions for the life of the vehicle. Dont think im bashing dodge I love Chrysler vehicles.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
I don't think a a Unimog is even in the same class of vehicle. For one thing, it's not a light duty pickup, it was originally a farm tractor. I will also have to say that the Power Wagon is not the most capable 4x4 truck ever produced either. Mainly because they are a big lumbering SOB with no turning radius and poor visibility. All the gadgets are just more crap to go wrong. What kind of lazy POS needs a power disconnect swaybar?!? I really hate to say it, but the most capable 4x4 pickup would probably have to be the GM military M1028 CUCV.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I dont know about a cucv, the only thing they had going for them ws the detroit in the rear. Then it was only for military vehicles. Civilian trucks didnt have that.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Winch and swaybar disconnect give Power Wagon the win, and Cummins power would absolutely cement that position.

I can tell you've never actually DRIVEN a CUCV offroad, Elmo. :flipoff2: heheh just kidding, but seriously-- the 6.2, the shitty, tiny tires, big rear spring pack, and crappy seats make them kind of a handful.. like groping your fat cousin instead of the homecoming queen, you know?

not implying that you actually DO know-- but try to imagine. :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Winch and swaybar disconnect give Power Wagon the win, and Cummins power would absolutely cement that position.

I can tell you've never actually DRIVEN a CUCV offroad, Elmo. :flipoff2: heheh just kidding, but seriously-- the 6.2, the shitty, tiny tires, big rear spring pack, and crappy seats make them kind of a handful.. like groping your fat cousin instead of the homecoming queen, you know?

not implying that you actually DO know-- but try to imagine. :D
HAHAHAHAH yea the 6.2 is a shitty motor.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
I was thinking in terms of parts available. I have driven a M1028 on a farm, pulling logs and such, and while I hate GM, I had to admit it did a very good job and seemed to have adequate power though not a lot left on tap. I have also drive two of the Power Wagons when I worked at the dealership. One was bought by one of the salesmen and a good friend of mine. I have to say that I am less than impressed by the new Dodge trucks overall and I don't think slapping on lockers and a winch are going to make it that much capable considering the overall size of the truck and the design. It might be great for mud in a field but let me weld my rear 60 in my Ramcharger and I'll put it up against a Power Wagon in the woods any day. In the end, the total cost of my Ramcharger, the D60s and NP205 was about $2k, much, much less than the price of a PW. Also, my buddy traded the PW after owning it less than 6 months and bought a diesel and called the PW a "gutless pig".

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I was thinking in terms of parts available. I have driven a M1028 on a farm, pulling logs and such, and while I hate GM, I had to admit it did a very good job and seemed to have adequate power though not a lot left on tap. I have also drive two of the Power Wagons when I worked at the dealership. One was bought by one of the salesmen and a good friend of mine. I have to say that I am less than impressed by the new Dodge trucks overall and I don't think slapping on lockers and a winch are going to make it that much capable considering the overall size of the truck and the design. It might be great for mud in a field but let me weld my rear 60 in my Ramcharger and I'll put it up against a Power Wagon in the woods any day. In the end, the total cost of my Ramcharger, the D60s and NP205 was about $2k, much, much less than the price of a PW. Also, my buddy traded the PW after owning it less than 6 months and bought a diesel and called the PW a "gutless pig".

How does parts available make the CUCV MORE capable stock than a Power Wagon? I was able to Drive a prototype Power Wagon at Moab when Mopar had a team testing them back in 04. I met the engineers and test drivers in the pool at the Gonzo Inn, and we went out wheeling the next day, Those Power Wagons Impressed me to say the least. We did Golden Spike and a few other trails, I actually swapped vehicles with one of the engineers for about an hour.

I'd like to see any other stock truck do what the Power Wagon is capable of. The CUCV please, talk about a gutless wonder, yeah it had good axles, but after that it had nothing, beyond the fact that it WAS NEVER AVALABLE TO THE PUBLIC.

With the sway bar disconnected the Power Wagon is VERY flexy. Why is an electronic disconnect? So the Chrysler engineers can make sure its connected on the highway, so some dipshit doesent drive around with it disconnected and Sue Chrysler when the wreck, bottom line.

The Engineers wanted to add the Cummins, but the winch Vs. Intercooler was a problem they could not address. If They wanted to move the winch out, they would have had to re crash test the truck with the new bumper etc.. it was not worth it, bottom line.

Comparing your Ramcharger to a new truck on a cost basis is assnine. I too will have less money in my 99 Ram 2500 V-10, After I Lock it front and rear, with lock out hubs, a non CAD 60 and D 80 rear with 4.56 gears and 37" tires on a Carli Suspension than the cost of a new Power Wagon
but it is comparing apples to oranges.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned 2 Ramchargers and a Trailduster, but I'd like to see a Ramcharger tow 10,000 Lbs, or cruise quietly all day at 80 MPH, and be able to wheel as well as a Power Wagon.

Especially a 318 Powered one :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Ilike dodge and ll, but i dont think it is the most capable truck ever produced. I would go more with the Unimog. They are very well engeneered trucks that are very capable. As an example, the 404 weighs aprox 6300 pounds and will carry 4000 pounds. Now before you all say 4000 isnt alot anymore, it will carry that weight in extreme offroad conditions for the life of the vehicle. Dont think im bashing dodge I love Chrysler vehicles.
That is why I said Pickup truck, The Unimog is a beast, but its no pickup truck.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
How does parts available make the CUCV MORE capable stock than a Power Wagon? I was able to Drive a prototype Power Wagon at Moab when Mopar had a team testing them back in 04. I met the engineers and test drivers in the pool at the Gonzo Inn, and we went out wheeling the next day, Those Power Wagons Impressed me to say the least. We did Golden Spike and a few other trails, I actually swapped vehicles with one of the engineers for about an hour.

I'd like to see any other stock truck do what the Power Wagon is capable of. The CUCV please, talk about a gutless wonder, yeah it had good axles, but after that it had nothing, beyond the fact that it WAS NEVER AVALABLE TO THE PUBLIC.

With the sway bar disconnected the Power Wagon is VERY flexy. Why is an electronic disconnect? So the Chrysler engineers can make sure its connected on the highway, so some dip shit doesn't drive around with it disconnected and Sue Chrysler when the wreck, bottom line.

The Engineers wanted to add the Cummins, but the winch Vs. Intercooler was a problem they could not address. If They wanted to move the winch out, they would have had to re crash test the truck with the new bumper etc.. it was not worth it, bottom line.

Comparing your Ramcharger to a new truck on a cost basis is asinine. I too will have less money in my 99 Ram 2500 V-10, After I Lock it front and rear, with lock out hubs, a non CAD 60 and D 80 rear with 4.56 gears and 37" tires on a Carli Suspension than the cost of a new Power Wagon
but it is comparing apples to oranges.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned 2 Ramchargers and a Trailduster, but I'd like to see a Ramcharger tow 10,000 Lbs, or cruise quietly all day at 80 MPH, and be able to wheel as well as a Power Wagon.

Especially a 318 Powered one :flipoff2:
My point is that the Power Wagon is nothing special, is over priced and is just more crap to break. An older truck, like a CUCV or my Ramcharger can be a much better truck for less because it has a better base. You never specified that it had to be a truck available to the public and the CUCV has, in my opinion, better axles and lockers than the Power Wagon and can be bought now for less than $5k. Couple that with being able to run a 6.2L on bio diesel and it looks even better. I could care less what a Power Wagon has on it or what it can do. For almost $50k, I can have a buggy built that will put a truck to shame. The bottom line is, sure the Power Wagon might be a capable vehicle for the first few months, then you break some expensive part and have to tow it to the dealer and argue about it being replaced under warranty or if it was abuse and you have to foot the considerable bill for it. Meanwhile I can break all kinds of stuff and afford to have the spare parts on hand to fix it on the trail with hand tools and not have to worry about not having any computer diagnostics around.

Personally, if we are going to just talk pickups, I'd much rather have my old '74 W100 than a new 2500 Dodge, PW or not. They built real trucks in '74 even the half tons with real front wheel bearings, large lug pattern, solid front D44, dependable and long lasting leaf spring suspension, 8 3/4 rear axle with available sure grip, NP435,NP445 or 727 transmissions, and divorced NP205 transfer case. Beef where you need it and no electronic BS to let you down.

As for the Cummins not being in the PW, the factory reps also said that the lockers will not hold up to the torque of the CTD.

And if it were not for the short wheelbase, I would have no problem towing 10k lbs with my Ramcharger. Fuck the new Chrysler, I don't need their overpriced, under built, piss poor quality bullshit. Oh, and I corrected your spelling. :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts