Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at buying a truck for work and have benn looking for a while a dealer fried of mine took a 98.5 dodge 1 ton dually with a 24v cummins with 119K on it in trade today on a new dodge 3500, and was looking to see if i wanted it before he sends it to the auction. so here is the story the guy was going to fix it but decided that he would just trade it in and buy new. the problem was that some times after coming to a stop the truck would only go up to 20 mph but if you stoped and shut it off and restarted it would be fine than it would go a few hrs days and do it again he took it to the dodge place and they diagnosed it as a bad injector pump which he will sell me at cost ($1600 is this a good price?) it also has a clutch that is on its way out the door which is not as big a deal as the fuel cutting out. i have got a few different oppinions on whether or not this diagnosis is correct.
so i found out that the injector pump and transfer pump tend to go at the same time. but is this the real source of the problem? i was told that he has replaced the injector pump once before about 60k miles ago. what do people on here think the root of the problem is?
is this something that i could get fix the ingector pump, transfer pump and clutch and have a truck that will go another 100k or is more like opening up a can of beans.
prices
truck $7200
parts $2650
labor $1000
total $10850

deal or not

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I know a place you can get the pump for 1100. There is no fix that I know of for it other than replacement (unless you just know how to rebuild them). I would recommend that instead of a stock LP, you put a FASS on it (589.00) and then the injection pump problems won't be an issue anymore. They fail from fuel starvation (LP failure). Oh, and I had my injection pump and FASS installed for 400 at a diesel performance shop J&H in Redding CA.
This is a common problem with the 24v trucks and the FASS should make it no longer a problem so chances are that the truck isn't a basket case.
I would bet that the previous owner had some performance products on it. Some of them will waste an injection pump quick and the added power will kill the stock clutch.
I would say that is a pretty good deal. You'll fix it and it'll probably be a good truck for years to come.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does this problem sound like the injector pump and transfer pump/
and what does LP stand for.

·
Registered
302 Posts
LP stands for lift pump. Sounds like a good deal to me. It should book a lot higher than what you are going to pay even after you fix it. I work at cummins and our lift pump, pn-3990082 is about $160.00, and the injection pump pn-3946135RX about $1700.00 plus a core charge. They are not very hard to do if you are mechanically inclined you could save yourself some money.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i talked to a mechanic at a diesel shop today he said he doesnt think it is the ingector pump that is bad especialy since it was replaced. but there is a part that is seprate but connected to the injector pump that would cause it to not be able to go over 20 mph. he said the part is only like 250 bucks so maybe i can get out of this for cheap. he also said that the diesel mech at the dodge place the truck is at probaly isnt really that good with the diesels. un fortunatly there is no way to get around replacing the clutch.

also where is a good place to get a FASS and could i instal it myself i am pretty good with working on gas engines i have done several swaps and rebuilds but i have no expierience with the diesels?

·
Registered
302 Posts
If the injection pump has been replaced I would first replace the lift pump. This is one of the most common problems with the isb. Do to the fact that there is not an inline filter between the tank and the pump. If you live in a warm state it is easy to put in, but in colder states like here in Colorado, the diesel has a problem gelling inside the filter. The idea about the injection pump and lift pump going out at the same time is somewhat correct. When the lift pump goes out, people continue to drive, which causes fuel starvation in the injection pump, and this causes the injection pump to go out.

Has the fuel filter been replaced recently? I don't know how many times customer come into our shop and this is their only problem. I would also check for plugged or broken fuel lines. Also for air and vacuum leaks which can sometimes cause this problem.

As far as a $250.00 part seperate from the fuel pump that would cause this, I don't know. The older dodges had a fuel shutoff solenoid, but on the 24 valves that is built into the pump. Does the truck start easily all of the time?

·
Registered
302 Posts
FASS systems, check with diesel dynamics, or ATS.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i tracked down the PO he said that the injector pump and transfer pump were replaced at 92K and the truck now has 119K so i dont think that the injector pump is bad. so maybe it will be a good deal after all. also is the transfer pump the same as the lifter pump? also i hear what you are saying about the FASS systems i live in NH where we regularly get below zero days in the winter so can i still do the FASS or will the fuel just jell in the filter. also the clutch was replaced 22k ago with a center force clutch but now it has trouble going into gear mostly reverse and 1st is it possible to wear out a clutch in 22K he towed only to put his boat in and out of the water once a year. or could it bee that there is air in the slave cyl line and just isnt coming all the way up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
transfer and lift pump are the same. I would call diesel dynamics or someone and ask them about the FASS system, I don't know a ton about it, but people here in colorado use it. It is possible to wear out a clutch in 22K if the person don't know how to drive a stick, but I would bet it is something else. Check for air, also maybe the throttle position sensor is bad. This is about a $300.00 dollar part. I would buy the truck, it sounds like these are minor problems, and that engine is still new. It should las 400-500,000 miles if it is maintained right.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think i am going to go get it tomorrow. i will let you all know how it turns out and maybe post up pics sometime. they only gave the guy $4500 for the thing i cant believe that what a rip maybe i can get another 500 to a thousand off.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Go for it. Sounds like a deal. I just installed the FASS on my 01. I love it. Dont have to worry about the LP anymore and its warrantyed for 4 yrs. You can use a diesel additive like Power Service for the jelling problem in the winter. Might be a good idea to use it anyway to keep the injecter pump lubed.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yeah, you can install a FASS, no problem.
Call Joel or Harvey at J&H Performance for the FASS, (530-245-0176) tell them that Sebastian Carter sent you. Ask all the questions you want, they are great about answering any questions you have! They can also give you a good price on a new injection pump (vp44).
Good luck!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so i bought the truck for $6500 and the thing runs great almost all the time i have been driving it around and it has only had a problem once. here goes i parked at home depot for like 10 mins and got back in and started to go but there was no get up it just acted like it was governed to 20 i am sure i could have gone slightly past 20 but didnt want to push my luck. it acts fine in first which is low anyways but than you hit second and nothing almost no power to move the truck at all. any changed opinions on what it could be.

·
Registered
302 Posts
tps sensor, or a lift pump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is it just idling with no response from pushing on the accelerator pedal? if so is has to be the tps under the black cover where your throttle cable hooks up. Just changed 2 of them on 2001s one with 99000 miles and one with 128000 miles. as for not going into gear in first and reverse very comon problem hit a higher gear before going in to 1st or reverse it slowes the tranny down enough to get into the lower gears,i also have the same problem on my jeep wrangler...

RD

bchurch05 said:
ok so i bought the truck for $6500 and the thing runs great almost all the time i have been driving it around and it has only had a problem once. here goes i parked at home depot for like 10 mins and got back in and started to go but there was no get up it just acted like it was governed to 20 i am sure i could have gone slightly past 20 but didnt want to push my luck. it acts fine in first which is low anyways but than you hit second and nothing almost no power to move the truck at all. any changed opinions on what it could be.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If it feels like a dead pedal, then it is the APPS or TPS. They run $300+. usually.
You can also check the voltage at the PCM, and see what it is doing.

Restarting the truck, resets everything, and then your off again. Also, is it setting the CEL, or any codes when it does it?

The clutch could very well get trashed after 22K miles. It could be hydraulics, it could be a dragging input shaft, pilot bearing.

The Centerforce clutches aren't the best choice for the Cummins, as it doesn't hang on at the low RPM torque this motor produces.

If you decide to pull it and replace it, then seriously consider a SBC(SouthBend Clutch). No comparison whatsoever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree TPS , I have the same year truck and had the same problem.
I have had no problems with the injector pump. The key is to get a fuel pressure gage to monitor the lift pump pressure feeding the injector pump, if pressure starts falling replace the lift pump ASAP. I'm only on my second lift pump at just over 100K

1 - 20 of 20 Posts