Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whose running an edge ez or edge hot box on their dodge and does it really give you what it says? I want a noticeable difference pulling the gooseneck without having to tear the tranny out for a valve body upgrade. I would go straight to the comp box but I don't want puke my convertor out and run it down with the trailer. Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Unless you're willing to upgrade your auto stay away from the comp box. A friend of mine has a stock auto and an edge EZ and it's hanging in there plus you can quickly remove it with no wire pierce marks if/when your auto blows and you're under warranty. There is definately a power increase there.

·
Vendor
1,342 Posts
If you plan to do tranny upgrades in the future and you think you would want the power of the Comp box, buy the Comp box and don't hook up the fuel pump wire. Then it works a the EZ does with options in the future. The EZ does make a difference you will feel.

Scott

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone running the edge hot box? it's one step up from the EZ but not quite the comp box. I really want to change it over to a stick in the future in stead of upgrading the turd-a-matic but until I get the $$$ i just want a little more.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
i put a bulley dog box on my buddies truck, it was worth the 420 bucks with out a doubt. plus a real easy thing to remove for warranty work. mike

·
Premium Member
25,817 Posts
Braden Willard said:
Anyone running the edge hot box? it's one step up from the EZ but not quite the comp box. I really want to change it over to a stick in the future in stead of upgrading the turd-a-matic but until I get the $$$ i just want a little more.
Why waste the $$ on an EZ or a hot when the Comp is a 5x5 box? Just get the comp and put it on level 2 or 3.

With an auto I think your just begging for trouble. A buddy's 00 4x4 3/4 ton is running 13.3's in the 1/4 and he has an auto. It's build to the hilt. I can get you the place he had it done at if you want to know.

Even a 6 speed with the Comp box on level 5 is not good enough. Just with my 4800# trailer it would chatter the clutch. Stock is not good enough for the comp on 5.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
You'll need to upgrade the auto tranny or get a new clutch with a PE comp box, UNLESS you don't pierce the injection pump wire.

I'd spend the money to build the tranny and bombs away. I like DTT products for auto trannys.-

www.dieseltrans.com

Charles

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
If your towing, I would stay away from power upgrades until you can upgrade the tranny. You will need a upgraded torque converter and valve body. The stock torque converter clutch cannot handle the extra power and will start slipping at some point. The after market kits upgrade the torque converter clutch and increase the line pressure to it. Slippage = heat= dead tranny. Thats why you cannot get a H.O. cummins with a auto. I'm waiting until my warrenty is up before adding a box and upgrading the tranny.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
warranty is not an issue because i bought my truck totaled and rebuilt. the down side is "I" have to pay for the tranny. So put 2k or more in upgrades in the auto or go to the stick that I really want--which I can get all the parts to change over for 2k. moral of the story, just want a little juice until I get the stick without makin' junk.:)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
How many miles are on your auto. If its over 100K I would stay away from any power increases. It it's got low miles go with the EZ.

If in the future you know your going to upgrade your tranny and will want more power then go with Comp and don't attach the pump wire. A comp with the pump wire not taped is the same as the EZ.

I have a 6 speed with a EZ and AFE megacannon and it tows great. If your looking for a Hot rod Tow rig that is quick stay with an auto. 6 speeds accelerate a lot slower then auto's, theres more shifting and lost of boost. But a upgraded clutch is only $600 compared to thousands you can spend on a bad ass auto.

If I was you I would go with a DTT auto, Edge Comp, DDII's injectors, AFE Megacannon, Straight pipe, Gauges. That is one sweet set up:D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the truck just turned over 5,000 miles yesterday so it's still an infant but I would like to get something for it $$ wise when I change over. already got the straight pipe and gauges and might go with the comp box and leave the pump wire off for when I get the stick and Southbend clutch.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I ran an ez box and turned up the line pressure in the trans (2001 w/3.54 rear). It worked great, even with 10k lbs. on the hitch. Added 275 injectors and it cost me a trans. I now have a comp box (edge with take trade ins for upgrade) 275injectors and DTT trans. The trans was far and away the best upgrade but it wasn't cheap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Get the DTT tranny upgrade on your Auto and then get the comp....you will not be unhappy. I have a Drag Comp on mine (no defuel above 2700 rpm in 5x5) and I am all :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JR2 said:
Get the DTT tranny upgrade on your Auto and then get the comp....you will not be unhappy. I have a Drag Comp on mine (no defuel above 2700 rpm in 5x5) and I am all :D
What upgrade do you have, a whole new tranny all done up or just the Valve Body and Torque convertor?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts