Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't bought my gear sets yet.I will be running dual cases 2.28 upfront and 4.7 rear (I already have dualcase adapt. 4.7 gears 35" tires I may want to go upto 38 later)I would like to run 5.29s but I have heard they are alot weaker than 4.88s. I have a 86 turbo motor&trans that are making there way into this mess and was concerned the extra horsepower and torque would require me to run the 4.88s

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
With a healthy Turbo and an Ultimate crawler i would go with the 4.88s if its trailered i would stick with the stock 4.10s (they are much stronger) If you plan on driving the truck alot to the trails i would do the 5.29s for better highway with the 38's. But, I have already gone through one set of 5.29s with my stock 22r and 35's without a crawler. :D Good luck

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well if you plan on driving it in 2WD and you want your clutch to last i would go 5:29's I dont know who set up the gears for the guys that blow theirs up but i got 5:29's & E-lockers from inchworm in my V6 truck and i do a brake stand when leaving work about every other day. And they are still in one piece.

·
Registered
27,624 Posts
ROCKPIMP said:
Well if you plan on driving it in 2WD and you want your clutch to last i would go 5:29's I dont know who set up the gears for the guys that blow theirs up but i got 5:29's & E-lockers from inchworm in my V6 truck and i do a brake stand when leaving work about every other day. And they are still in one piece.
You got baby tires too:flipoff2:

If you plan on driving it around, 5.29's, if not stick with 4.10's. I see no real benefit from choosing the middle road. I've broken them all: 4.10,(2) 5.29, 5.38, 5.43

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Wilson said:

You got baby tires too:flipoff2:

If you plan on driving it around, 5.29's, if not stick with 4.10's. I see no real benefit from choosing the middle road. I've broken them all: 4.10,(2) 5.29, 5.38, 5.43
I know you set them up yourself using a dial indacator, a tape measure and a stick of gum, maybe some duct tape on that last set. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
dont know who set up the gears for the guys that blow theirs up but i got 5:29's & E-lockers from inchworm in my V6 truck and i do a brake stand when leaving work about every other day. And they are still in one piece.
Well the gears were set-up right, but running a spool and dropping the hammer in snow did the trick for me. Oh and i would say doing burnouts at the local mall does not count as wheelin'.... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
20,143 Posts
Either set will be fine. If you do any highway miles on it, you will appreciate the 4.88's. I have 5.29's with a 22RE and 33's right now but I have had the 35's and I didn't feel a whole lot of difference between the two. 4.88's won't eat up your clutch.

With the 5.29's, I have the speedo between 80 and 90 on the highway and the RPM's are a bit high but not bad. (This is with 33's and actual speed is probably between 70 and 75).

I could have easily gotten away with the 4.88's with 35's without any turbo.

John

·
Registered
961 Posts
I run 4.88's and 37's

I have NO complaints about the power. I think my truck runs stronger than most(22RE), but I would not give up any more durability in the thirds.

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
5.29's. It would take a v8 and a heavy foot to break the gears in 2wd and massive low range gearing and a heavy foot to snap them on the trail.

O ya and if you plan to drive up any hills in 2wd while maintaining the speed limit without downshifting to 3rd gear. :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all for your input. After reading the opinions,looking through the search pages,and my own gut feeling. I have decided to go with 4.88s. I just took a quick-lock out of the rear of another truck I plan to use it in the front of my runner.I will be purchasing gears and a full detroit for the rear........soon....I hope:p

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
I've got 4.88's and 37" MT/R's now, and I think it SUCKS on the highway. Luckily I don't drive it daily anymore, and have been even luckier to trailer it the last few times to the trail. I will say it gets there, but its slow going. Oh ya I have a v6 also. I'd much rather have 5.29's, and planned on it this winter, but I think I'm just going to stay with 4.88's one more summer and buy a tow rig next winter so it won't ba an issue anymore.

·
Registered
27,624 Posts
ROCKPIMP said:

I know you set them up yourself using a dial indacator, a tape measure and a stick of gum, maybe some duct tape on that last set. :flipoff2:
Nope,

All were setup professionally, (4.10's were factory, open diff). Most failures were due to the spool and a heavy right foot.
Torque loads rarely break gears, it's the shock loads that are a killer. Brake stands don't count, when you can drive through your brakes. Even then and axle would snap first.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've had 4:88's and 5:29's with my 35's and I'll take the extra gear any day. IMO, if your going to drive it on the street, you'll want the gear, it's nice to keep up with traffic. I've been running my 5/29's for two years with no problems.

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
Dirtdragon said:
Thanks to all for your input. After reading the opinions,looking through the search pages,and my own gut feeling. I have decided to go with 4.88s. I just took a quick-lock out of the rear of another truck I plan to use it in the front of my runner.I will be purchasing gears and a full detroit for the rear........soon....I hope:p
You're going to wish you had 5.29's the first time you try to drive on the freeway.

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
GO 5.71s......right after you check out my sig.....:D :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

5.29s are a necessity if you plan on driving on the street any at all and not getting run over in the process.:jester:

l8

-j-rOd

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just Great......after i decide to go with 4.88 the last 4 responses say I'll be sorry I didn't go with 5.29s .....:confused: :eek: :confused: guess I will look into it alittle further before I buy gears :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Thanks Again everyone......I just hope I buy the rite thing the first time:D :D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Dirtdragon said:
Just Great......after i decide to go with 4.88 the last 4 responses say I'll be sorry I didn't go with 5.29s .....:confused: :eek: :confused: guess I will look into it alittle further before I buy gears :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Thanks Again everyone......I just hope I buy the rite thing the first time:D :D

If this is a DD rig plus a weekend wheeler go 5.29's I had an 85 toy with 36" swampers and 4.10's with 22r :eek: .....I couldn't stand driving that thing on the road.......burned up a cluch before I went with the 5.29's.......after I got the gears it felt like a total different truck;) .....go 5.29's

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.