Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posting this for a buddy.

He just had a currie 9" made for his 94 YJ. He is wondering what is the best solution for his steering and all, as far as what knuckles, and steering links to use. Does anyone here have a currie 9" front? If so, what knuckles did you use? And where did you get your drag link and tie rod from? He has a Spring over also, so he wants Hi-steer.

Like I said, its for a buddy, and any info you can throw in will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jay

·
Registered
167 Posts
Currie 9" with high steer

I have the Currie 9" on my 2000 TJ. I had it built with the Dana 30 inners. I'm running the outer knuckles from the Down East Offroad high steer kit. They seem to be the same outers as my wife's 2001 Grand.

I pitched the drag link and tie rod that came with the kit and built some custom links with DOM. By the way, the Grand outers require a spacer and a custom brake bracket (included in the kit) that accomodates the required S10 brake calipers.

It's a good kit (pricy$$) but the steering links are only as strong as stock. They are YJ links.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
So this "friend" had a custom axle built and didnt discuss options or specify what knuckles to use? Does he know what inner "c" was used on the building of this axle housing? Sounds kinda odd to me, amazing lack of planning before writing a check, these things need to be known before a welder is turned on.

edit: we'll need to know what inner "c" it has before making any recommendations for knuckles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What's the point in getting a custom 9" front made and using Dana 30 outters:confused: That's kinda like the bastard 44's that are under the front of the new Rubicons

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kwrangln said:
So this "friend" had a custom axle built and didnt discuss options or specify what knuckles to use? Does he know what inner "c" was used on the building of this axle housing? Sounds kinda odd to me, amazing lack of planning before writing a check, these things need to be known before a welder is turned on.

edit: we'll need to know what inner "c" it has before making any recommendations for knuckles.
I don't think it has anything to do with lack of planning, its called keeping your options open. If its not a DD, whats wrong with building as you go?

Everything you stated makes absolutely no sense at all, if you have good info post it about the currie 9" front, if you don't please don't clutter the forum with BS.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Since a 9" never came as a front axle, it has to be using inner C's from another axle. Does it have inner Cs from a YJ or XJ dana 30? If so then he's limited to using those knuckles. If it has inner C's from a dana 44 or CJ 30 he can use knuckles from almost any 44 or CJ. Hell, for all we know it could be a hybrid using inner C's from a dana 60 which will dictate using those knuckles. Without knowing what knuckles you can use the board will be hard pressed to make recommendations. Build as you go is fine, but when you lay down the cash for a custom axle, you kinda have to have a clue which direction your gonna head. It would be kinda tough to use 60 knuckles after spending the dime to get YJ 30 inner C's installed. Didnt mean to come off like a dick, but more info is needed, thought I asked for it, but maybe the intro clouded things a bit.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
You expect an answer with no info to base it on, then act like an ass.
Do you really think that's the way to get good advice?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I run a Currie 9" in the front of my CJ7. Chevy 44 knuckles; Chevy disk backing plate and calipers; Scout rotors; a shortened IH tie rod and stock Jeep drag link.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CJ-Jeeper said:
You expect an answer with no info to base it on, then act like an ass.
Do you really think that's the way to get good advice?:rolleyes:
well with the info I had to base it on I guess it would be a little hard. I think I was far from acting like an ass, I was just defending him against someone who thought I was asking for myself and disguising it with I was posting for a buddy. I'm a ford guy.

After figuring out what a c-inner was, what I commonly refer to as a "ear" I think I have figured out what he is talking about. The ears are set up for the replacing the knuckles with the dana 30 stuff. The kit he got from currie has the top-hat design hubs, which in my opinion suck.

So is he stuck using the dana 30 knuckles, or is there another knuckle like the YJ dana 30 knuckle that he could use that may be stronger, and better suited for the high steer? Thanks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
There are a few companies out there that make outer knuckles that will accomidate Hysteer and will go to your buddies inner C.

I think Tera makes some. He is pretty much stuck with using the unitized bearing though, unless he wants to pony up even more $$ for the hub conversion kit and that thing is 900 bucks!

Other than not having the option of locking and unlocking I don't have much trouble with them although I have just come to the realization that they are a routine- Remove and Replace sort of part. I change em out every year or so.

Oh and on a personel note, I work with some of your brothers up here at Kulis. Good guys. Have fun Greenfeet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tera Steering Knuckle

Have your buddy look into the Tera knuckle... While its not cheap, right at 3 bills, it was a perfect solution for the Currie HP d44 I had built using stock TJ inner knuckles.... I assume your buddy used yj inners whick are the same as TJ/XJ.... The passenger side Tera arm comes with only pilot holes in the both the upper and lower arms... I drilled out the lower and the drivers side knuckle and created a heim ended tie-road running knuckle-to-knuckle mounted ontop of the lower arm (PS) which moves the tierod up approx 3" over stock. The upper arm can be drilled for pitman arms using ball joints or heims....

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Oxblood said:
What's the point in getting a custom 9" front made and using Dana 30 outters:confused: That's kinda like the bastard 44's that are under the front of the new Rubicons
At least someone has their head on straight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts