Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I personally think they are a stupid idea.
To remove the slop in the pin, use a bolt and tighten it.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
I'm not sold on those things. Most people have a problem with the way the ball mount rattles, which is a up and down movement. That doesn't do anything for that. And if you have forward/back slop, then you have issues that need to be fixed. You can do a simple anti-rattle device, which is a lot cheaper. The only advantage that I see to that set-up in the picture is if it was for a pintle hitch. But even then, you are still going to hear the pintle ring bang around.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I forgot about those, someone is making a "Hitchshim" or something.
Just run a bead of weld on the hitch, grind to fit, no more slop.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I aways thought they were to cushion the schock from starting and stoping????????? not noise control.

My BIL has a big cushioned bumper on his pickup he used farming but it takes up the spare tire mount area.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
IMHO, they would do absolutely NOTHING. The internal friction for all the weight on the reciever would keep it from slidely back and fourth anyways..
not only that, but a hollow tube, with the sides cut out of it can't be even remotely as strong as a 2" solid receiver, like most properaly rated ballhouts are.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMHO, they would do absolutely NOTHING. The internal friction for all the weight on the reciever would keep it from slidely back and fourth anyways..
not only that, but a hollow tube, with the sides cut out of it can't be even remotely as strong as a 2" solid receiver, like most properaly rated ballhouts are.
FWIW the pic in the first post is a cutaway to show the Polyurethane Cushions.

Has anyone used one?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I had one years ago on a 1/2 ton Chevy I had. I would tow 5-6K with it now and then. It bent the pin in the housing cause the shear points are too far apart. It ended up going with the pickup when I traded it, cause I couldn't get it back out. IMO it didn't help out.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Our one ton on the farm had a hitch with the same principles, but used 4 heavy springs. It wasn't a receiver hitch, it slid on two large rods, each one had a spring on each side. It had a 1" plate the ball bolted through. It was a very heavy duty hitch, and helped immensely with the constant push-pull from our water trailer. Then again, that trailer was over 20,000 lbs, too. All in all, it worked great, even on smaller trailers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our one ton on the farm had a hitch with the same principles, but used 4 heavy springs. It wasn't a receiver hitch, it slid on two large rods, each one had a spring on each side. It had a 1" plate the ball bolted through. It was a very heavy duty hitch, and helped immensely with the constant push-pull from our water trailer. Then again, that trailer was over 20,000 lbs, too. All in all, it worked great, even on smaller trailers.
That sounds just like my BIL's setup.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Probably a DMI, I have one on my truck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I aways thought they were to cushion the schock from starting and stoping????????? not noise control.
Also, In town driving on bumpy roads when the load is shifting front to back it helps. It made a small difference but it was noticeable for me when it was first installed. I worked at a parts store and got it real cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts