Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Gals

I am looking to have some custom flexible brake hoses made, they're about 10" long, Toyota 10mmX1mm female fitting in one end, and a metric 10mm x1mm banjo fitting/banjo bolt at the other end. Anybody knows a shop can do such things in the Silicon Valley please let me know. Any online shops?

I'm running LC calipers at the rear with SO so my options to run the flexible line are kind of limited.

Thanks.

/td
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,833 Posts
ARe you running non floating LC calipers?

If youre looking for rubber hoses, a raybestos book has a ton of metric banjo hoses...

-Brett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
CruiserBrett,

I think you did this before, how did you route your brake hoses in the rear with your FF? Do you know if Raybesto book is online? Thanks.

Here's is my setup:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,833 Posts
td said:
CruiserBrett,

I think you did this before, how did you route your brake hoses in the rear with your FF? Do you know if Raybesto book is online? Thanks.

]
TD,
done that exact setup. The rear caliper is not a floating kind so no need for hoses. I bent and flared a 3/16" brake line with the 10mm x 1.00 fittings on it, and ran it directly from the junction on the axle/frame hose fitting to the caliper.
BTW, looks great! Those calipers in the rear with the late 4 runner calipers in the front will give some serious stopping power, but you'll need a proportioning valve...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
but woulnt hoses be a good idea? as if you brake a axle or if you need to take off the rotor, you can just unbolt the caliper and hang it out of the way?
Shane
cruiserbrett said:
TD,
done that exact setup. The rear caliper is not a floating kind so no need for hoses. I bent and flared a 3/16" brake line with the 10mm x 1.00 fittings on it, and ran it directly from the junction on the axle/frame hose fitting to the caliper.
BTW, looks great! Those calipers in the rear with the late 4 runner calipers in the front will give some serious stopping power, but you'll need a proportioning valve...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
PARANOID56 said:
but woulnt hoses be a good idea? as if you brake a axle or if you need to take off the rotor, you can just unbolt the caliper and hang it out of the way?
Shane
Yes.

I would use flex hoses in this application too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,833 Posts
Its a FF, so changing an axle shaft doesnt require removal. If you want to use a brake hose, no need for a banjo fitting style hose. Just use a standard hose like a 38881 or 38788 and thread it into the caliper. If you search this forum for 38881, it will show one screwed into a caliper on a front application...

-Brett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, CruiserBrett et all, I have those hoses to try out but I try to keep the flexible hoses above or away from the springs. I will drop by napa to check out the hose or will special order them from Crown Performance.

Yes, I'm running the 4Runner V6 in front too, these brakes unexpectedly took too much time, but I'd be sure:



/td
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
where did you get your FF setup? is it custom? more info :D
Thanks
Shane
td said:
Thanks, CruiserBrett et all, I have those hoses to try out but I try to keep the flexible hoses above or away from the springs. I will drop by napa to check out the hose or will special order them from Crown Performance.

Yes, I'm running the 4Runner V6 in front too, these brakes unexpectedly took too much time, but I'd be sure:



/td
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,594 Posts
ANy NAPA can give you the full line on Raybestos. Just find a cool counter guy and give him the fitting size and required lenght.

What brackets, calipers, rotors? I am about to do this myself on my FF. I HATE not being able to lock it up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
PARANOID56 said:
where did you get your FF setup? is it custom? more info :D
Thanks
Shane
The picture is from the front axle (note the steering arms). I'm assuming the rear was the standard FF unit he installed a few years back (listed on his website. Dunno why I remember this!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GreenPig said:
The picture is from the front axle (note the steering arms). I'm assuming the rear was the standard FF unit he installed a few years back (listed on his website. Dunno why I remember this!)
Yes, that's right the 2nd pic is the front, and the rear is the OEM FJ40/45 from Australia. But Beanz2 (Cruiserbrett too?) converted their rear semi-floats to FF's that look just like the front with locking hubs.

/td
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dd113 said:
What brackets, calipers, rotors? I am about to do this myself on my FF. I HATE not being able to lock it up!
The bracket are made from a set of mini-truck front disk knucles, calipers are FJ60 calipers, rotors are also fj60 rotors, The backing plates are from mini-truck. Will do a simple write up soon.

/td
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Del3030k said:
In the Vendor section, there is a guy that has some ultra pimp KEVLAR lined colored hoses, custom made, any length, fittings.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291865

No affiliation, I was just browsing the vendor section and saw them, they looked pretty pimp.

Keith
Wow!!! Just like what I'm looking for but much cheaper than I have them make locally - local shop wants 50 bucks just for one rubber line.

Thanks.

/td
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,833 Posts
td said:
Wow!!! Just like what I'm looking for but much cheaper than I have them make locally - local shop wants 50 bucks just for one rubber line.

Thanks.

/td
Someone posted up a link to buy them directly from the manufacturer in San Diego area. From here:

Crown Industrial Products, Inc.
1185 Park Center Drive, Suite G
Vista, CA 92083
760.599.0090


My FF rear is an actual FF housing, just used Front hubs and mini-truck knuckles to convert to disc and mount the calipers. Stops like sports car with the large late 4runner calipers front and the LC fronts in the rear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,833 Posts
BTW, I dont think the calipers will work with a banjo fitting, there is not a machined flat area around the threads for the copper washers-just the casting bump. 10mm x 1.0 pitch banjo bolts might be a bit hard to find as well. most I found were 10mm x 1.5 pitch...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cruiserbrett said:
BTW, I dont think the calipers will work with a banjo fitting, there is not a machined flat area around the threads for the copper washers-just the casting bump. 10mm x 1.0 pitch banjo bolts might be a bit hard to find as well. most I found were 10mm x 1.5 pitch...
Doh'. Thanks for pointing it out...I found a source for 10mm x 1.0 pitch banjo bolts thou.

So I may end up running the flex line between small space below springs and the rear shocks. The space is small there's chance the flex lines may be rubbed/crushed. Running the the hard lines is cleaner but I like the option to pull calipers without rebleeding the brakes.

This board is really helpful. Thanks a lot!!

/td
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
"just used Front hubs and mini-truck knuckles to convert to disc and mount the calipers"
Um.. I am just guessing here but you cut the knuckle off the mounting face with a bandsaw? that gave you the mount for the caliper? And used the outer spindle assembly to mount the rotor? Then did you use the stock inners? or make new inners and use the lockouts with a double splined inner shaft?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top