Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for more indepth information on building a cage and having it function as an air tank too. While at sema last year I came by two full body wranglers that had this done but no one was available to talk to.
I've also done my searches here as well with no coverage to be found.

All info and insight is welcome.

TIA, John

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
rust from the inside out.

other than that... kinda cool and space saving.

it's fairly simple geometry to figure out how much volume you'll have.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
For the little bit of volume you'll get it's hardly worth the work to get it airtight.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
Little bit of volume?? Seems to me like you'd get quite a bit if you had it plumbed right, going through all the tubes in the cage.
Scott

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
amphibiouscreature said:
hell yea lets pump that up to 1000 psi and roll it on some rocks. yes it would rust and have more capacity then a power tank.
Looks like this post needs to goto the newbie section!
You don't hold 1000 PSI in your air tank :rolleyes:
Not to mention the steel used in the rollcage is thicker than that used in the air tanks people buy to hold air.

Do you really think 120-150 PSI will cause the steel of your roll age to explode :rolleyes: If this was the case do you think the hoses used to airup tires would hold or that the steel that air tanks are made out of would hold up :rolleyes:

You can safely plump air through your rollcage with no fear of it exploding!

Another note about the rusting from the inside out... this 'could' be true but if you use a york you will blow a lot of oil into the lines/tubes/steel container and it will prevent it from rusting. If you aren't using a york or other engine driven compressor or a modified york that doesn't blow oil then you could have a problem or you could shoot some WD40 into your tubes before you weld it all together and randomly throughout the year. I wouldn't worry about the rollcage rusting with a york as much as I would worry aboutit rusting with no oil/air in it... :)

Hope that helps, it takes 1 minute to drill a hole in the steel an duse the tube as a tank I think it's worth it :D

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
Thank you Todd... Seems to me that some people dont get it.. I guess if the cage was going to explode, that means, all my fully pressurized air lines and compressor should have exploded last time I flopped my POS.... :rolleyes: :D
Scott

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Po' riggity said:
Thank you Todd... Seems to me that some people dont get it.. I guess if the cage was going to explode, that means, all my fully pressurized air lines and compressor should have exploded last time I flopped my POS.... :rolleyes: :D
Scott
You run air lines :eek: you need to run 1/4" wall DOM or that shit might explode :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do what you will, and it will work but be warned it really isn't the safest of practices out there. Granted, it PROBABLY won't explode, BUT in a bad rollover you do risk blowing it out possibly sending shrapnel into you, your passengers or worse yet innocent by-standers. People have talked about doing so with bumpers too, still not a great idea for the same reason, rocks are sharp and metal, after time will give. Just warn us where you'll be wheelin so we can stand waaay back

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
VooDuuChild said:
Do what you will, and it will work but be warned it really isn't the safest of practices out there. Granted, it PROBABLY won't explode, BUT in a bad rollover you do risk blowing it out possibly sending shrapnel into you, your passengers or worse yet innocent by-standers. People have talked about doing so with bumpers too, still not a great idea for the same reason, rocks are sharp and metal, after time will give. Just warn us where you'll be wheelin so we can stand waaay back
Yes because 120 PSI will blow steel all over the place :rolleyes:
If you roll the air will leak out or shoot out all at once it won't blow steel particles into your skull :shaking:

·
Registered
614 Posts
My roll cage is set up as an air tank and functions just fine, although I wish there was more volume. As said before when something pressurized blows, it tends to just release with a "woosh". Shrapnel LOL

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
it must be tuesday again...

i think it would work fine. there are alot of holes to drill where the tubes meet, and you will get some rust. make sure you have a condinsate drain on it.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
AHHHHH, I just Rolled!!!!!! Someone get me out of here before my cage expodes!!!!!

Thats funny......

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ease up, guys. The only reason you haven't heard about it is 'cause when a roll bar goes, the blast is so massive that it takes out all witnesses!!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
roll cage air tank

I've been running a york compressor for 4 years,I started with a new 3 gal tank, after about 2 years, even after leaving the drain open, rust started to come out, personally I would make a custom front or back bumper, or get a $10 tank from ebay, this is only if you plan to keep the vehicle for a while, just wouldn't want you to comprimise safety for a cool air setup. only an opinion.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Ok, look at the tubing from a pressure standpoint. It will most likely be able to hold the pressure that you are going to put in it from an air tank. The weak areas are at the welds as well as any other sharp corners. Now, find some references and do some math if you really want to determine if it will hold. Please by all means do this. No one ever criticized someone for double checking. As far as blowing the thing apart; I am used to seeing things blow apart and I could see it happening here, but it would probably be difficult to do. This type of air tank would work structurally, but as said before you may require more volume. Personally, I am just going to use something like a tractor trailer air tank, but that's me.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Do we have a final decision on the airtank/explosion here? I've got my airtank under my jeep, but the sheet metal floor is really thin...

BUT.. the Point Blank: Interceptor vest that I wear really chafes on the bouncy trails... and the Kevlar helmet gets really hot in the summer time.

:flipoff2:

What if I just plated the tank in 1.00" plate steel? Would that stop? or add to the 40,000 kiloton explosion I'm preparing from? :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts