Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem:
My 1991 hardbody is going through steering components like crazy. I'm not spending the money on a fancy steering upgrade kit. the pitman arm is weak, so is the idler arm assembly, and the centerlink is a horrible design

My solution:
I am going to try and make everything myself. I will pull apart the idler arm. use DOM tubing and bearings to rebuild it. then weld a new idler arm to it. i will make that from 1/2 or 3/8 steel. putting 2 tapered holes in it so the tie rods and center link mount separate, instead of putting all the stress on 1 like the original. i will then make the pitman arm in the same manner, Followed by a DOM centerlink, and DOM tie rods. I will put the most heavy duty tie rod ends i can find on the center link and tie rods.

My question: Has anyone done this? Will it work and be safe? Any advice? Will it hurt if my geometry is off a little from stock?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Its beeen done many times. Not sure if you have 2wd or 4wd because there different. Either way there is lots of companys making aftermarket systems. Some have come and gone. Hoohaa centerlinks is one of the cheapest options.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I looked at doing it. I had a hoohaa centerlink and a idler arm brace and was going to build some hiem joint tie rods. Started breaking other stuff in the IFS after I got the hoohaa centerlink so I just shitcanned the whole IFS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts