Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm doing a knuckle to knuckle steering on my tj. i wanted to mount the tie rod on top of the knuckle and connect the drag link to the tie rod, similar to the early bronco set up.... the problem is the coil mounts get in the way of the tie rod, they stick out from the axle too far. if i put the tie rod underneath the knuckle, it fits but i lose about 4 inches of ground clearance :idea: if i extend the knuckle out about 1.5 inches, i will get enough clearance. whats your opinion on the strength of this? i would machine a block the same size as the end of the knuckle to extend it out. i would weld this on and then sandwich it with 1/4 inch plate, then bolt through the original hole in the knuckle..... i would also sandwich it side to side, so it would be boxed in. i think the extension would be strong enough, i'm wondering about the strength of the knuckle as a whole with the added leverage.... btw its a dana 30. any one think there would be a strength issue?tia!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The best high steer set up for TJ 30's that I have seen uses WJ knuckles. You pick up one WJ knuckle from a standard left hand drive WJ and you order the other from Austrailia.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, really expensive also..... i'm only running the 30 for 1 more summer, so i don't want to put a ton of money in it, was hoping to build the steering for cheap to get through one more year......

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is it possible to just grind the perch down to clear the TR?

IMO, if this is possible I would do it then ream the knuckle from top down to accept Chevy 1 ton TRE's, 7/8-18 RH and LH thread. There is a wealth of info on building the links here...

FYI, I tried to do a full crossover set up on my D44 but the coil perches still were in the way, so I used an inverted T set up. No clearance issues. Check this out, it may help you:

http://www.rightcoastcrawler.com/billaVista/Tech_Index.htm

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i saw that site, alot of good info.... i'm using rod ends and dom tubing, i like the rod ends better then the tie rod ends. i ground the spring mount back right to the coil. the tie rod actually hits the coil... i have the axle an inch or so forward also which is making things worse... it'll fit on the bottom of the knuckle, but i was hoping to gain some clearance. :confused: i may just mount it on the bottom, it's only a couple inches higher on top.... i'm using 1 3/8th .188 wall tubing so it should take rocks fairly well....i did try tubing as small as 3/4 to see if it would clear and it still hit

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm not sure what the coil brackets look like on a TJ, but I was having the problem with my highsteer system on my grand cherokee. My solution was to build some low profile coild brackets from DOM. Main body is 5"x.25 wall.

WJ knuckles aren't too expensive. You can find a passenger side knuckle for $25-$50 at a yard and the right hand drive driver side knuckle is $175 and I know a dealer in the US that will sell it to you. I'm using the WJ knuckles with 85 blazer ends. So far so good. BTW - I'm only running 35's.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that turned out great! i was going to do that with the coil mounts, but on the tj the coils are about 2 inches ahead of the axle. i was going to make new ones centered over the axle, but i didn't want to push the axle that far forward. the tie rod is actually hitting the coils, so to move them back would be the only solution. trying to do this on a really tight budjet, so i don't want the extra expense of the wj knuckles.... i think i'm going to just mount it below the knuckles, it's only a couple inches lower :bounce: btw what did you use for your tie rod and drag link? are those stock pieces from a ford cut down??

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Lib... that's a SWEET front-end setup, dude. I like it. :D

Spinner... I don't see any reason why your extended knuckle idea wouldn't work. If you're going to HIGH STEER it, then make it HIGH. You're only extending the knuckle by about 1.5", right?

& if you box it in like you said, just beef up the side supports & run it!

·
Registered
324 Posts
spinner said:
that turned out great! i was going to do that with the coil mounts, but on the tj the coils are about 2 inches ahead of the axle. i was going to make new ones centered over the axle, but i didn't want to push the axle that far forward. the tie rod is actually hitting the coils, so to move them back would be the only solution. trying to do this on a really tight budjet, so i don't want the extra expense of the wj knuckles.... i think i'm going to just mount it below the knuckles, it's only a couple inches lower :bounce: btw what did you use for your tie rod and drag link? are those stock pieces from a ford cut down??
The tie rod and drag link ends are from an 85 blazer. The tube itself is just 1.5x.25 DOM with welded in threaded inserts.

It sounds like the TJ brackets are the same as the WJ brackets. My stock brackets also sat about 2" in front of the axle. I moved my axle forward a couple inches and then centered the mounts when I made them. I also went back to a stock pitman arm (reamed it for the bigger ends) and it's like night and day from a power steering perspective.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.