Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a Kilby ( www.onboardair.com ) alternator combo pulley I want to modify to fit a Toyota alternator. It needs a small sleeve made to press in to reduce the shaft hole diameter, and then some material removed from the back of the pulley to clear the alt. case.

Can anyone recommend a good place (or person) to do this?

Any idea of how much I should expect to pay?

I'm going to be making at least two of these to start, and there will probably be some interest in a handful more of them in the future... (and NO Brad Kilby is not interested in making/selling them already made for Toys :p ).

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
17,636 Posts
ErikB said:
I've got a Kilby ( www.onboardair.com ) alternator combo pulley I want to modify to fit a Toyota alternator. It needs a small sleeve made to press in to reduce the shaft hole diameter, and then some material removed from the back of the pulley to clear the alt. case.

Can anyone recommend a good place (or person) to do this?

Any idea of how much I should expect to pay?

I'm going to be making at least two of these to start, and there will probably be some interest in a handful more of them in the future... (and NO Brad Kilby is not interested in making/selling them already made for Toys :p ).

Thanks! :D

Did you buy the pulley direct from Kilby?
Scott

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, bought it from Kilby (quite a while ago now).

I'll try getting ahold of Dean, thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :D

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I can't suggest anyone, but I will jump in and tell you that it shouldn't be too big of a job for just about anyone with a lathe big enough to turn it. As for cost, you'll probably be looking at a shop minimum rate, whatever that rate is and whatever the minimum is. Again, depends on the shop, but I'd figure at least $50, and maybe $100. These shops don't want to be bothered by onesy twosies when they can do a single setup and run a few hundred widgets. I know I hated tearing down machinery to build one of something.

Have you pursued a pulley that meets your requirements? You may be able to find one off-the-shelf.

Peace,
Paul

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's kinda what I figured and that's why I'm asking here first. :)

I searched the net and didn't really find any combo pulleys except the ones Kilby makes...

The other problem is I need a spare alternator for whoever does it to take some measurements from...

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:bounce: :bounce2: means he's excited because he's the one getting the second pulley (and York bracket when I build it). ;)

I'm definitely serious, but I'd like to find someone local first, if possible. :)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
ErikB said:
:bounce: :bounce2: means he's excited because he's the one getting the second pulley (and York bracket when I build it). ;)

I'm definitely serious, but I'd like to find someone local first, if possible. :)
Gotcha...

Didn't know if I missed the secret post or something...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
POPE said:

Gotcha...

Didn't know if I missed the secret post or something...
very very secret post. so secret that even the mods don't know about i. erik built a sweet bracket for his runner. since we both have T100's and i need OBA to run ARBs and tools, i conned him into fabbing it.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PM'ed Dean, he sounds williing, but can't get to it for a few weeks.

Didn't think about WB and he's on my way to/from work, so I'll stop by there tomorrow. :idea:

Someone was asking for details, so here they are:

(rough measurements w/ some cheap HF calipers)

The sleeve needs to be roughly .588" ID, .668" OD, .445" long.

The area on the back of the Kilby pulley needs to be turned down from 1.30" OD to about 1.173" OD to clear the alternator case.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
erik, i just emailed a guy at our other plant because i think they have a lathe. i am going there tomorrow morning, so i will bring your pic and ask if they can do it. maybe i can get some government work done over there for :beer:. if so, all you are stuck with is the bracket.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I walked into WelderBoy & GearMan's shop (I guess he wants to be called Welder BILL now or "WelderBill't" are what the stickers in there said), and walked out an hour later with this. Fits perfect. :cool:

He didn't get to it right away, but he more or less dropped what he was doing to do it. It cost $50 for just the one, but I can't complain about the convenience/service. :)

WB didn't really want to do a handful of them w/o the pulleys present in case they didn't fit perfectly, and suggested that another shop could probably do a number of them at once more (cost) efficiently if I really wanted to do more.

At least now I can design and build the brackets and let Surlyn and everyone else figure out thier own pulleys. :flipoff2:

Anyway, thanks for recommending WB.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
ErikB said:
I walked into WelderBoy & GearMan's shop (I guess he wants to be called Welder BILL now or "WelderBill't" are what the stickers in there said), and walked out an hour later with this. Fits perfect. :cool:

He didn't get to it right away, but he more or less dropped what he was doing to do it. It cost $50 for just the one, but I can't complain about the convenience/service. :)

WB didn't really want to do a handful of them w/o the pulleys present in case they didn't fit perfectly, and suggested that another shop could probably do a number of them at once more (cost) efficiently if I really wanted to do more.

At least now I can design and build the brackets and let Surlyn and everyone else figure out thier own pulleys. :flipoff2:

Anyway, thanks for recommending WB.
you gotta do another one :( ..............i guess i need to call Kilby. what was the part number for teh pulley you ordered? i see the sleeve and it looks like he machined down the hub part as well.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its the 061-003 pulley for the Nippon-Denso Alt.

The Toy one is a ND alt. too, but obviously a different one than what the Jeep or whatever they make it for uses (when I bought it orginally I was hoping it would be a bolt-on).

Looks like they carry an overdrive pulley now too if you want. I bought mine a couple of years ago and its just been sitting...

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
ErikB said:
Its the 061-003 pulley for the Nippon-Denso Alt.

The Toy one is a ND alt. too, but obviously a different one than what the Jeep or whatever they make it for uses (when I bought it orginally I was hoping it would be a bolt-on).

Looks like they carry an overdrive pulley now too if you want. I bought mine a couple of years ago and its just been sitting...
Two little questions, are you saying the Onboardair pulley is really a 061-003 pulley for the Nippon-Denso Alt? My second question is the fact that the onboard-air unit is 6 groved instead of 5 is that an issue?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts