Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few of the questions asked:

85blue4runner said:
specs on the trailer and camper?? did you add the toolboxes later or were they made into the trailer?

Has the beavertail hurt you at all vs a flat deck for better departure angle?
Firescooby said:
I don't usually post as I rarely have anything to contribute, but that is a
VERY VERY nice and well thought out setup!!!

If you don't mind giving out the secrets, what are the specs on the camper and the trailer? Fully loaded do you know the tongue weight?
Great looking trailer, I hope you don't mind people copying it.
Jodi
BENNY87 said:
Ya, Id like to get some more detail about this and the truck.. And anymore pictures cause when Im done with my build I was looking at doing the same thing...
Thanks
Ben
Original Post
After carting my shit around for several years on all kinds of setups, I new exactly what I wanted....just could not find it...and when I found somthing close it was crazy expensive( well to me 40k).... even if I had that kind of money it would be close but not what I wanted......so I built my dream set up.

Needed it up off the ground so I would have clearance underneath for generator, fuel station, air compressor, welder, spare tires, batterys, gas grill, and storage boxes, also being hIgh of the ground allows access to a few more spots.

Also wanted a beefy trailer...tired of dealing with trailers pushed to there limits. Since I wanted a bumber pull the trailer needed to handle the majority of the wieght.Had a PackRat that had more patch metal on the frame than the frame had.

Also, even though I possess the RedNeck gene.... the remarks about my popup camper on my goosneck were getting a little tiresome...hell...I geuss I should have taken the tires and wheels off.

Dodge 4x4 with service bed has also been nice

Anyway I have been using this setup for two years and would not change a thing.

Just load up clothes and food:usa:
tr06.jpg
Alright call me a show off....but its the only junk I own worth looking at:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
you know, I was just telling my wife that we sould do the same thing with my trailer so I could put my blazer on the back and haul everything with one tow rig. I think it is awesome. I can't wait to show her your pictures.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Started with this trailer
BRADY 2006 001.jpg It took me a year to find...not that many 30+ feet bumber pulls. It had 7500 lb axles with brakes on both, heavy duty frame, good jack, adjustable tounge, already the perfect length, and above axle deck needed for all the stuff going underneath, and good ground clearance.....actually this was after about five hours of cutting diamond plate sheet metal of the deck. Guy who did the welding must have been paid by amount and lenght of welding beads.

trailer 001.jpg
After sandbast and paint...oh and also after my buddy Mike Watson wore out his cutting torch and grinder.

camper.jpg
2006 Trail Sport 21RBH fiberglass camper.

More later:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
you know, I was just telling my wife that we sould do the same thing with my trailer so I could put my blazer on the back and haul everything with one tow rig. I think it is awesome. I can't wait to show her your pictures.
Thanks I have enjoyed it.

afroman006 said:
more Pics From All Angles And Underneath.
On the way...damn thing called work keeps slowing me down

·
Registered
18 Posts
more pictures please! I have been kicking this idea around for a long time because I already have a 18 foot brand new travel trailer. How much deck do you have in the rear and what are you planning on hualing back there?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is from my list during build...kind of a time line:

Take trailer for sandblast

Complete rear deck and paint trailer (also add foot scrape expanded metal to rear of deck)

pull camper onto trailer jack up cut off running gear and tounge....lower onto trailer.

Remount propane bottles

cover camper wheel well cut outs with diamond plate

mount tool boxes (two 6 foot and one 8 foot)

Mount fold down steps for door

mount fold down steps for rear deck on both sides

move ramp storage to rear of trailer

mount generator...wire for meter and on/off switch to be inside

mount fuel tank/fuel station with gage next to generator switch( fuel access door in top of deck)

Three 12V batterys underneath

Two spare tires(must be easy to get in and out)

Air compressor with quick connect inside tool box

welder

Leveling jacks

stainless slide out for gas grill with quick connect to propane

rebuild axles bearings, brakes, and lugs to fit chevy take off wheels

All welding finished then get rhino lined.

install rear door and redo inside to allow access to door

Mount TV, sound system, and satelite(king dome)
022.JPG

024.JPG

028.JPG

042.JPG

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Finished product
DSCN0186.jpg

Baby weber grill
025.JPG
expanded metal foot scrape on rear of deck
023.JPG
Service bed on dodge 4x4 ctd automatic with in cab controlled air bags
041.JPG

Specs:

37'6".....Overall length from front of tounge to rear

4'6"....Tounge length

18'.....Length of camper

15'...length of deck

102"....width of deck

Weights:

7500lbs.....empty weight full of fluids with all my gear

4700lbs....my TJ full of fuel ******typo should be 4100lbs

1100lbs....Tounge weight without a vehicle on trailer (empty)

300lbs-1500lbs.....Tounge weight when loaded depending on where and how you load rig onto deck.

Clearance:

20"....main channel of trailer

17"....bottom of tool boxes

14".....bottom of dove tail in rear when trailer is hooked to truck

nothing,other than axles and tool boxes, hangs below main frame under trailer
I have trailer registered @ 14,000lbs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Sweet thread, hope you don't mind I cleaned up some of your formatting for a smoothe read :cool2:

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
This thing is :grinpimp: I don’t have the $$ wherewithal or desire to build one, so I hope some RV manufacturer will get the idea and build something like this that I can finance.
Excellent job on the build.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet thread, hope you don't mind I cleaned up some of your formatting for a smoothe read :cool2:
Thanks......Just so everyone will know.....I think all the spelling was correct until DRM cleaned it up......so its DRM that spells like a third grader not me:D

OK its not DRM its me.......my spelling sucks

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
niiiiice :smokin::smokin:what do think you have in it moneywise and what do you have it regesterd as rv,flat trailer?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Im quite sure I saw you at Texas Twister a few weeks back. If it was you I watched you pull in and was slightly amazed that someone could do all that with a bumper pull. Awesome setup, I shall copy you in a few years.

:smokin:

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im quite sure I saw you at Texas Twister a few weeks back. If it was you I watched you pull in and was slightly amazed that someone could do all that with a bumper pull. Awesome setup, I shall copy you in a few years.

:smokin:
Yeah...that was me....I anounced the auction with your trail leader Mark.

Your rig was quite impressive....I had seen the build thread and it is even more impressive in person.....There has only been one TJ up Widow Maker...I thought you might be the second...Looks like I will hold on to that accomplishment a little longer.:smokin:

Glad ya'll had fun at Trees....hope to see you agian......maybe next time I will wheel the TJ instead of goofing off with the Polaris Razor.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts