Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about building some custom suspension in my 94 XJ... I'm basically building a long arm setup in the front, and a triangulated 4 link in the rear. I'd like to have somewhere around 14-18" wheel travel, and I was thinking of running these shocks from www.marvinshawshocks.com I can get them in all different lengths and strokes, and they're nitrogen/oil charged. no coilovers. basically a 2" dia. billet aluminum outer and a 1.375" hydraulic steel inner shaft. They're light, fairly inexpensive compared to king coilovers or other shocks like that, and there's not much on the outside to get caught in rocks or get caked full of mud. The vehicle will be used for trails, some mudding, some snow, rock crawling, and some sand duning/baja type stuff. I want to be able to jump the thing a bit without getting a concussion and without breaking stuff, but I also want to be able to articulate with the best of em and have good ground clearance. I want to run at least 35's and still keep full articulation, and I also want it to be streetable on occasion and still look like a cherokee on the outside as opposed to a buggy conglomeration. I was also thinking about putting airbag switches in the system, so I could raise, lower, and be able to go side to side for those sidehilling situations. Does this sound feasible, or should I set my sights a little lower?? I know you guys are smart, so Im hoping to get some good answers! Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
1badxj said:
Does this sound feasible, or should I set my sights a little lower??
Nope.

Well I thought about it a bit more. It will work if you put RE stickers somewhere on your rig. RE=infallible god of all things suspended.

Carry on.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Re: Re: custom suspension design.....

LAME said:

RE=infallible god of all things suspended.
BWAAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh crap. You didn't just make a sarcastic remark about RE, did you?? :eek: Do you REALIZE what all the JU lurkers are going to DO??!!

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
251 Posts
1badxj said:
I was also thinking about putting airbag switches in the system, so I could raise, lower, and be able to go side to side for those sidehilling situations. Does this sound feasible, or should I set my sights a little lower??
It's a nice idea but wont work. These shocks are running upwards of 300psi and any valved crossover system you build will leak. The airbag guys can get away with it because they are running lower pressures and if they lose some air, so what, their OBA will take care of it.

14-18" of wheel travel is easily achieved with the stock coil system. My old tomken lift was capable of 18" of travel with a little grinding work for CA clearance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, I was thinking that might be the case with the higher PSI.... would I be better off to just ditch the custom shocks and just throw in regular old coil springs instead? If that's the case, what kind of shocks would I use to achieve 18" or so of travel?? the longest ones I've seen only go up around 12" or so travel...

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I think its worth trying without any goofy crossover setup. Maybe just some light sway bars. Different is good, and I think this setup may have some advantages over coilover. never know till you try though

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Sounds like your asking a lot from a suspension. I'm sure it can be done and has been done but all with $$$. Looks like your also trying to pinch a penny in some areas. If you want a rig to do all you are asking you better be willing to spend the coin to do it.:D

Good luck!!
and oh yea.....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not afraid to spend the bucks if thats what I need to do to.... but if I can get equal performance out of something thats less expensive, I'll definitely go for it... I just basically want to be able to jump my rig 4 or 5 feet off the ground without breaking stuff, be able to hit whoop-dee-doos at full speed, and be able to still have good articulation for trails/rocks.... if I can do that with coils and rancho 9000's or something, that would be cool.... but if I have to step up and use these air shocks http://www.marvinshawshocks.com/pictures/cruiser4.jpg or step up further and get some king coilovers I guess thats what I gotta do. Or if leaf springs in the rear will do fine, then I guess I can just keep it simple and plain and run-of-the-mill and just do it that way... Although it would be cool to have something different, ya know? anyways, let me know what y'all think....

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
1badxj said:
I just basically want to be able to jump my rig 4 or 5 feet off the ground without breaking stuff, be able to hit whoop-dee-doos at full speed
If this is what you want to do with your XJ, then go to www.JeepSpeed.com it's a baja type racing league just for XJs. If you want hardcore rockcrawling, then come here... but search first!

·
Registered
251 Posts
1badxj said:
I just basically want to be able to jump my rig 4 or 5 feet off the ground without breaking stuff, be able to hit whoop-dee-doos at full speed, and be able to still have good articulation for trails/rocks....
Your asking for quite a bit from a vehicle. If it were my jeep, I would do the following. Longarm setup with progressive rate coils and relocated axle shock mounts to allow 14" travel shocks, quick discos, redo the rear spring hangers to allow 56"+ long springs and longer shackles, frame" stiffners and reinforcments, weld on axle trusses, and a GOOD ROLL BAR. Coil overs would be nice also but on an XJ it takes a lot fabrication to make them fit right.

If you ever plan on competeing, whether its rockcrawling or Baja style, throw everything I said out the window and look at the rules for what is allowed in the class you would like to compete in. The stock class's are pretty restrictive on what can be changed and the other class's just take too much $ to be competitve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts