Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
searched a bunch, but couldn't find any decent picture threads.

looking to make a set of tube fenders out of 1 1/4" .120 wall. I want to tie them into either the frame or cage somehow, this way if there is a front on hit a bad side hit, it doesn't tweak the body just being mounted by those 3-4 bolts on the front corner of the body.

hiccup is i want ti to look good, but have the body still be removable.

Thoughts? I thought I could tie the bottom part into the tube/rocker slider fairly easily, and tie the front part to the rad hoop and shock hoop, but what to tie the top part by the body to?

·
11,307 Posts
There are pics around on some setups similar to what you describe, but either way what you are planning to do seems pretty straight forward.

You also do not mention what Jeep you are talking about, and if you arlready have a full cage or not. If you do, post pics of your front A-pillar setup. Without knowing what you have, it is a shot in the dark...

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is how I built mine.
I cut the original fenders at the upper seam, leaving the water guide attached to the fender well. I used 1 1/2" wide flat stock and ran it down both sides of the grill, drilling holes wher the fenders attach.
Next, I attached 1 1/2" angle Iron at the body and drilled holes accordingly and attached them. You will need to eliminate the top hole at the angle iron and drill a new lower hole. The top hole will get in the way of where you need to weld. Weld the .0120 fender tubing to the flat stock and back to the angle iron at the other end. You will need to do some accurate measuring of the fender tubes so they will be straight.
Now weld a straight piece of .0120 tubing along side of the water guide. Weld it on the tubing where the fender tubing and the the flatstock meet at front and where the fender tubing and angle iron meet in back.
Weld a piece of .0120 tubing down from the inner fender tubing to the bottom of the angle iron. For strength, I also ran a piece of .0120 tubing up and across to the other fender for added strength. I made a slip joint between the two that unbolts. I also welded 2 tabs on it and mounted hood pins.
Use cardboard as a template and cut your fender skins out and weld to top and sides. I don't see the need to weld or mount the fenders to the frame. I have made 6 pairs so far and use them pretty hard and have never come close to bending them.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Piet that is so funny!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts