Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a custom Y link steering setup using GM tie rod ends for my Scout. I am also upgrading the steering box to a PS setup. The frame rail is clean and I am looking for guidance on where to mount the steering box. Are there any articles or guides to point me to the best angles between the steering link and the tie rod on the horizontal plane and angles between the pitman arm and the connection point on the tie rod for my steering link on the vertical plane?

I know there are other things that impact this but right now I have a roller with no engine and want to understand any limits involved.

This is not a rock crawler and will see limited off road activity but I want it to be safe.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What Scout and what steering box? Mounting inside or outside the frame? The main goal regardless of parts is to keep the drag link as flat as possible to limit the angles at the Y on the tie rod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scout II PS box, outside the frame.

The truck is not very lifted at all--I think 'as is' the vertical angle (non flatness) of the drag link will be minimal and could be solved with a drop pitman arm.

My bigger question is WHERE to mount the steering box? This will determine how far forward the drag link/pitman arm is relative to the tie rod.

I know there are other things that impact this mounting location. But want to know if there are any parameters of the angle where the drag link intersects the tie rod on the horizontal plane (i.e. 0 degrees drag link is perfectly parallel to tie rod and 45 degrees the pitman arm is WAY in front of the tie rod)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts