Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a pair of cut to fit shafts from east coast gear 2 weeks ago, measured a few times, did math, measured a few times again then cut. in less than an hour i had some chromo shafts installed in my spider 9 rear and ready to go.

now, does anyone make them for inner shafts that i can use on the front axle? i used the Spidertrax axle calculator app on their site so i know what i need but i would like to see if cut to fits are available so if i break one i can get it shipped the next day then make it myself, instead of waiting a few weeks for a company to make one for me.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It's not really practical/possible in a front axle, since you need an oil sealing surface just outside the carrier.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on a side note... is a D60 inner 35 spline shaft the same weather its for a GM, Ford, Dodge or any year? one of the shafts i need it close to the late 70s early 80s D60s i find on all the common sites, would that work?

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,800 Posts
on a side note... is a D60 inner 35 spline shaft the same weather its for a GM, Ford, Dodge or any year? one of the shafts i need it close to the late 70s early 80s D60s i find on all the common sites, would that work?
Do you have 35 spline shafts? I doubt you will find a stock inner over 30 spline.

Edit: I assume you mean aftermarket shafts. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yeah, all are the same except for length. Some really old ones might be weird, but keep it something like 1978 or newer and you'll be good to go.

Do you have 35 spline shafts? I doubt you will find a stock inner over 30 spline.

Edit: I assume you mean aftermarket shafts. You should be good to go.
I haven't seen anything OTHER than 35 spline on the inners, with the exception of the really old stuff. Stock or aftermarket.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i do mean aftermarket 35 spline inners but made to OEM lengths. i'm not really looking for the 300m shafts or any of the stupid expensive stuff yet, just something to put in there to get it working right now. after all the kinks are worked out and it's moving around i'll upgrade to something nicer.

thanks

·
E. Spengler
3,828 Posts
It's not really practical/possible in a front axle, since you need an oil sealing surface just outside the carrier.
:homer: any way to get a Superduty seal in there, so that the seal rides on itself?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Seal surfaces are why you don't see cut to fit front shafts. It would be possible to do it if you used something like a seals it.

9" front shafts are typically turned to 1.5" for 9" and then neck up to the diameter of the blank. Shafts for a stock housing typically have 3" of spline diameter, 1-3" of 1.5625" diameter for a stock 60 seal and If it's an application specific shaft they might neck back down to closer to spline size. If you ordered a custom shaft for a stock seal they will usually neck up to blank diameter after the seal. Your shaft builder should be asking you if you are using a stock seal or 9" seal so they can make you the right shafts.

You want a good polished seal surface not just a rough as forged surface on your seal, you might need to polish an application specific shaft to get it to seal on your 9" seal.

If you are worried about turn around for custom shafts give Branik a call, they can usually turn them around in 1-2 days if you let them know at the time of ordering.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Just order two for each side the length you need, then you have spares

1 - 14 of 14 Posts