Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How deep do you cut? I was starting to cut mine today with my grinder, and I *think* I'm through, but I can't really tell.. should there be something to see?

I REALLY don't want to fawk up and go too deep and cut off the knuckle! :eek:

All I've used to try and turn it so far was a 4' bar... wishful thinking, I know... Gonna heat it up tomorrow...

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
If you are cutting thru the weld, give it a few hard whacks with a BFH near the cut, this ususally makes a very faint crack, visible with very good eyes, (reading glass's required for me) rotating it you shoudl be able to detect the areas that are not thru. Heat it very hot, before trying to turn, we use a 8 ft bar.
Butch

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a big piece o' pipe that's going to go over this bar to turn it as soon as I can figure out a really solid way to hold the axle...

I'm not cutting through the weld, rather, 1/2 - 1" or so inboard of it... I was under the impression that this is OK?

Think a propane torch can get it hot enough?

EDIT: Oh, any word on finding that pitman arm? I found one, but the TRE hole is notably bigger than the one in my GM arm, but that's not the issue, so much as the 2 pitman arm pullers I've broken trying to get the damn thing off!

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
We have always cut thru the weld, but I assume the principle would be the same, one thing Josh and I always try in our work is for it to look OEM or better, 2 welds side by side even though I'm sure is fine, won't do that.
You got to realize, when you do this type work for people, with the reputation we have tried to maintain, and the rigs we work on may be seen at events all over the country, I don't want somebody surprised or dissappointed if he looks at our work.
Sermon over:flipoff2
Thry to find a Snap-on puller, tough mofo, if you are pulling it off a junk box heat.
I doubt a propane tourch will do it, we use a Ox/Ac with the big rosebud tip.:flipoff2:

Butch

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I JUST CUT MINE LOOSE THIS WEEK DURING THE START OF FINALIZING MY FRONT SETUP. AS A STARTER YOU CAN COMPARE THE THICKNESS OF THE HOUSING WITH THE 3RD REMOVED, AND GO FROM THERE. I DID WHAT BUTCH SAID AND GAVE THE KNUCKLES A WHACK WITH A BFH AND YOU CAN EASILY SEE IF YOU'VE GONE FAR ENOUGH. MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN UP THE AREA WHERE YOU'LL BE WELDING VERY WELL, AND I WOULD SAND AROUND THE GROOVE THE WHOLE WAY AROUND. I HAD ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH OIL IN THE PORES OF MY REAR AXLE, AND I HADNT SANDED UNDER THE PERCHES WHEN I POSITIONED THEM BECAUSE I THOUGHT THE WIRE WHEEL WOULD BE ENOUGH... WRONG. AND MAN, I HATE CUTTING WELDS :mad2:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I just did two last weekend. Rented a pipe cutter from Home depot for 2-4" pipe. We ran the groove just shy of 1/4" deep and stuck the hi-lift jack handle in them and turned them without any heat or anything other than the 4' lever arm-allthough it did take a bit of effort. I would be careful with the grinder, dont want to go too much.

I ground out the groove and got a really hot weld in there, hope it holds...

-Brett

·
Banned
471 Posts
Cut and turn info

I'm not sure why you're doing inboard of the weld, Eski, but you don't have a whole lot of inner sleeve. you should take grinder
and grind the weld down flush and as true as possible to the diameter of the outer tube. Then rent the pipe cutter(not as good as my lathe, but oh well) and do as Brett did and through to the inner sleeve. then after you have set you caster to whatever
you want the grind out the cut so that you would have at least
a 1/2"-3/4" wide v-groove(at the top of the groove) then you can
make a couple or few passes around with the welder. don't worry,
you arent' going to warp or distort anything, but you really need
a lot of heat for very good penetration on this area!!
Questions? PM me. I do these ALOT!!

Kruzrtek

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I WILL ARGUE THAT A 4" ANGLE GRINDER WITH A CUT OFF WHEEL IS FASTER, EASIER, AND JUST FINE. CUT 1/4'' INTO THE TUBE, TURN IT, GROOVE OUT THE WELD WITH A NORMAL GRINDING WHEEL, AND LAY A NICE HOT BEAD INTO IT, AND YOU'LL BE FINE, PROBOLY BETTER OFF THAN THE STOCK WELDS. I CUT MINE ABOUT 1/4" OF AN INCH INBOARD OF THE FACTORY WELDS, AND DIDNT GRIND THEM OFF. YOU CAN SEE HOW FAR THE SLEEVE GOES INTO THE HOUSING, AND IF YOUR TRUELY WORRIED HOOK A TAPE IN THERE AND MEASURE.

KRUZRTEK, AS A WELDER/FABRICATOR I KNOW THE PRIDE AND REWARDS OF QUALITY WORK, BUT THIS ISNT NASA ;)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: Cut and turn info

kruzrtek said:
...least a 1/2"-3/4" wide v-groove(at the top of the groove) ...
That seems way wide to me...on the dozens we've done, never more than 1/4" to 3/8" max, you can open it bigger but you lose as much strength as you gain by filling it back full of weld... :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had my axle off of the rig when I did my cut and turn. I had a couple of 5' long ibeams that I layed the housing across. I bootie fabbed a mount on one end of the beams to ubolt the housing to. I was then able to use a 6' length of pipe as a cheater to turn the knuckles.I got lucky ,no heat required. The only mistake I made when cutting was that I cut too close to the outside of the weld and was starting to cut deep without seeing the crack. I stopped and moved to the inside edge of the weld and started cutting again. About 1/4'' deep and I found the joint.

·
Banned
471 Posts
It's not NASA???

What do you mean?? These are Land Cruisers here, not *HEEPS*.
We have to have complete precision at all times, nothing less will be accepted!!
No, sorry guys, didn't meanto get overboard, just seen to many
folks at home do a "less than satisfactory" job that I had to fix.
Job security, I guess. Hey Outfitter's, you should see the
groove that RMA makes. It takes five passes with the MIG to fill
in the groove, then it's ground smooth!!
Where ya been lately?

Kruzrtek

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Done today! Butch's idea to hit the knuckle end was right on... only took a little heat from the propane torch, and she was rotated... 17*.. And, was one of the easiest welds to do ever, thanks to the channel.. the weld flowed right in there!

Thanks again! :beer:

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used a grinder with a thin cutting wheel.. made a nice groove for the weld to flow in, and took very little time.

screw the pipe cutter...:D

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: It's not NASA???

kruzrtek said:
... Hey Outfitter's, you should see the
groove that RMA makes. It takes five passes with the MIG to fill
in the groove, then it's ground smooth!!
When doing a cut and turn? Why in the world so wide?

Where ya been lately?

Wheelin, you guys up there ought to try it sometime... :D:p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts