Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to the forum and am in the process of puting a front scout d44 in my cj. What is the best way to cut and turn the knuckles on a scout II dana 44. Should I grind the welds out or torch the weld out. If we torch it out will the heat weaken the knuckle? What's your opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
If all you are doing is turning them and not narrowing the axle, I'd grind them. it's much more controllable, and you won't risk blowing a hole through the axle. That is, unless you're REALLY damn good with a torch. I wouldn't worry too much about the heat, because they'll get pretty warm with grinding, too. But anyway, if it were me, I'd grind the welds out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would grind them. That's how I did mine. I think you would have a hard time not wrecking the C's if you used a torch.

·
Registered
18,301 Posts
grinding disc not cuttoff wheel. When you feel you are getting close go ahead and give em a wack with a BFH. Hairline cracks will form and let you know where you need to grind more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did this about a month ago. You have to grind real deep Into the knuckle horizontally for the cracks to start forming. Don't even waste you time beating on the knuckle till you have a crack all the way around the tube.. Mine were an absolute bitch to get off. I had to heat them up and BFH. They were stuck on hard.. I don't have pics of how deep I had to grind to find the cracks. These pics are after I basically ground the weld out to a 90 degree, tube to knuckle then I had to grind in towards the knuckle about 1/4 to 1/2" to get the rest of the weld out..I used a 4.5" grinder.

·
Registered
479 Posts
As mentioned above. Grind, dremel, the weld out.

I tried to stay more on the tube and away from the knuckle.

I thumped the knuckle occasionally with a 2.5-5lb hammer. Once you have removed enough of the weld, a crack will appear and you will be able to turn the knuckle.

Then comes measuring and welding it back up.

Wally

1 - 6 of 6 Posts