Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I'm finally feeling better and have some pics to post of what I've done (my GOD WHAT have I done!?!?!) I am down to the frame now. The only Scout parts I kept are the frame, front fenders, hood and grill. Everything else went to the dump. Now I just have to wait for the rain to stop to continue.

Anyway, my plans are to use my existing rollcage and tie it into the frame. Then cage out the rest of it and just hang the front pieces to make it look something like a Scout. I still haven't decided on what to do with the back part of it. I like what Cain did with his Scout, but I have to have some sort of tub since we take the dogs with us many places. I'm thinking just some 18-20 guage sheet metal between the roll bars in the back to make it caged up. But, we'll see.

I also have my 350 all home now and just need to put it all back together. It's gonna be sweet to go from a 231 to a beefed up 350 :D

And, question and advice time. I am thinking of going with a Ford style front suspension (coils, trailing arms and panhard bar). It seems easier than making up a suspension like I did for the rear. What does everyone think about Ford suspension? Ideas? Opinions? Shoot 'em at me.

·
Registered
32,454 Posts
Curtis, you got more scout left than I got heep! And Im with ya on the "what have I done!" feeling ;) Lookin good though :) I was (am?) also going to go with radius arms and a panhard bar up front. Without going to a full hydro setup I dont see a 4 or triangulated 3 link being worth the work to pull it off. I'd do an arm with a short upper on the pig side and a single link on the opposite side. Kinda like this

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mike said:
Curtis, you got more scout left than I got heep! And Im with ya on the "what have I done!" feeling ;) Lookin good though :) I was (am?) also going to go with radius arms and a panhard bar up front. Without going to a full hydro setup I dont see a 4 or triangulated 3 link being worth the work to pull it off. I'd do an arm with a short upper on the pig side and a single link on the opposite side. Kinda like this
Ahhh, good idea. I "might" just stay with the leafs in front, but I like the idea of coils on all 4 corners too.

·
Registered
32,454 Posts
Well at least for the time being I am just so I can get the chassis rolling, instead of sitting on a table.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've noticed lots of people have started running anad building up 3-link radius arm suspensions lately, I guess it's catching on more that before.
I have built three of these suspensions and have been very impressed with the results. I'd recomend it since it is very simple to setup and works very well.
Like Mike said put the radius arm on the center sections side and your good to go.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Darren, I ask myself the samething every morning I look out the window. It'll be cool when I get done though. Phil and I have a deal that allows me to go to his shop and use his bender. So, I figure I can bend 90% of it in one day. Then welding and all the fun that goes with putting it on.

Mike, I like the idea for the front. I'm gonna do it that way since I have the material on hand to do it anyway. I just need to figure out the geometry of how a panhard bar works. Shouldn't be too hard.

Also guys. How many feet of tubing is this sucker going to take (estimate). I have the existing cage that I am going to use. So, I just need to tube the engine compartment, floors, beef to the cage, seat tiedowns and etc all to the same cage. The main parts are going to be 2"x.120" and then some 1.5x.120" and 1x.120" thrown in for fun. I'm kinda thinking in the area of 50 feet 2", 40' of the 1.5" and 40' of the 1". Sound pretty good? And, where in this area is a good place to buy just plain old sheet metal on the cheap?

·
Registered
32,454 Posts
The geometery's really pretty easy. I figured on 40" lower arms. The panhard bar needs to be on the same plane as the draglink. :D Sounds like you'll have plenty tube to me, probably some left over, but is that reall so bad? ;)

·
Registered
34,264 Posts
Curtis said:
Darren, I ask myself the samething every morning I look out the window. It'll be cool when I get done though. Phil and I have a deal that allows me to go to his shop and use his bender. So, I figure I can bend 90% of it in one day. Then welding and all the fun that goes with putting it on.

That's cool!
.................And, where in this area is a good place to buy just plain old sheet metal on the cheap?
ask Silly, he deals in that stuff in Chico area, so he should know.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike, yeah I think I'll go for the front coils. Kinda scary since the leafs work, but what the hell :D

Saebass, I didn't even think of asking Silly. DOH!!

Indy, yeah, I'm thinking stock Ford coils. I have 4" lift TJ coils in the back, but I think something heavier like the Ford's would be best with the motor over them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.