Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 233 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Thank you for continuing to post useful info and build ideas.

Keep it up & Good luck on your endeavor diving deep into the fabrication business!

:smokin:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
amazing. thanks for sharing.

·
TBD
623 Posts
Amazing. Interested to see how that turnkey U4 concept turns out. I like the looks of the Chassis.

If the day ever comes I have disposable money instead of bills to pay, I want that Comanche's duplicate... With maybe one or two slight changes.

Great stuff! Love your threads.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Amazing. Interested to see how that turnkey U4 concept turns out. I like the looks of the Chassis.

If the day ever comes I have disposable money instead of bills to pay, I want that Comanche's duplicate... With maybe one or two slight changes.

Great stuff! Love your threads.
Well I already know how the next manche would be. It would start with a 2door Cherokee from the seats forward. I had never owned any unibody jeep, and had no clue in the difference in the door size. 🤯

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
What are your thoughts on the Fireball tool squares are they worth the money? Been thinking about picking a few.
They should be the first squares, that anyone who enjoys fabricating, should buy!

Even before a fab table.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Been going along on aluminum for Sam's buggy.

Getting the Everlast 250ex, tuned in to weld up the fuel cell.

Constantly learning and making steps towards being an all around proficient metal melter.

I was having some contamination and peppering issues... but got those worked out.

You can see the trash in the starts...

So I tried just a fusion weld to eliminate the factor of the material, as you can see, good clean fusion... which tells me the material is clean and left me with contaminated filler.

Still peppering in the starts after doing additional cleaning of filler...

So, I did some more cleaning of filler, and switched up from ceriated and a regular collet and #5 ceramics , to a #5 gas saver and 2% lanthanated. All the while maintaining 128 amps, 30% en, 75 hz and 15 cfh.

I think it's ironed out now and ready to lay some dimes on the 1/8 aluminum, open corner joints of the fuel cell.

Continues...

CutlerFab

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Edges prepped, mocked up, ready to lay out weld in bungs, filler neck, fuel sump, vent/roll over, and mounting pucks. Ended up being just over 12 gallons capacity.

Btw; I had my material sheared and bent locally, my machines won't handle 1/8 aluminum. But I mis-labled the bend angle....
So I said wth, loaded the material in the baliegh magnetic brake..25" long mind you, and it worked effortlessly. Also used it as a work holder and skill saw guide to re-trim the piece!

CutlerFab

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
awesome work on dialing in the tig welds....any reason you couldnt just fusion weld it? Not enough meat in the corner joint ?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
awesome work on dialing in the tig welds....any reason you couldnt just fusion weld it? Not enough meat in the corner joint ?
Well as good as that looks, and good penetration on the inside, especially for 120 material....I don't want to have an RCI type fuel cell failure on a high end rig such as this. So I'm gonna throw 1-2 lbs of filler at this bad boy!

Thanks brother!

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
The added silicone in your filler rod is not prone to cracking, whereas the natural aluminum IS extremely prone to cracking when it melts and freezes back up, so it's important to add a lot of filler when welding aluminum. No filler = cracks. That's how I understand it anyway...

21 - 40 of 233 Posts