Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Damn that is a nice shop. Love that you're willing to show what you're learning and not just posting completed pics.

What software is that in your earlier post? Bendtech? If so how do you like it compared to Solid Works/Fusion 360?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Damn that is a nice shop. Love that you're willing to show what you're learning and not just posting completed pics.

What software is that in your earlier post? Bendtech? If so how do you like it compared to Solid Works/Fusion 360?
Thanks!

Yes, pro version with sheet metal packet. I like it for 3d tube drafting. As I'm just learning, and self teaching myself 3d cad... and 2d for that matter, I'm not a fan of the sheet packet yet. Or any 3d system I've ran trials with. I'm using viacad 2d for the plasma, and I really like its platform. It's intuitive for my brain process.

So far I've ran trials in 3d in fusion, viacad 3d, designspark mechanical, autocad. Haven't devoted much time to it as of yet... it's quite time consuming, and I have too much to do right now to sit it the desk.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Putting down some drops of alloy love on the Winget buggy fuel cell. Bottom sump, rearward facing, baffled, return and rollover valve top center. Neck goes on tomorrow.

Just a tick over 12 gallons.

CutlerFab

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I've been doing some experiments in aluminum welding recently too. The outcome, your poor welds look better than my good welds. Ha-ha

I recently did some aluminum "stick welding". Have you tried that yet?

In any case, I have determined I can weld 1/8" with reasonable success for structure, not so much for cosmetic. But I currently need to weld a fair amount of .065" and I have decided to hire out. If you were closer, I'd be knocking on your door. I found a aviation welder that is great, but he is particularly busy right now. So I'm working around it right now.

Anyways, love watching your work. Thankyou for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I've been doing some experiments in aluminum welding recently too. The outcome, your poor welds look better than my good welds. Ha-ha

I recently did some aluminum "stick welding". Have you tried that yet?

In any case, I have determined I can weld 1/8" with reasonable success for structure, not so much for cosmetic. But I currently need to weld a fair amount of .065" and I have decided to hire out. If you were closer, I'd be knocking on your door. I found a aviation welder that is great, but he is particularly busy right now. So I'm working around it right now.

Anyways, love watching your work. Thankyou for sharing.
I have not stick welded anything in 20+years. I have seen that done by a real welder... and it looked better than most spool gun beads!

65 is tougher for sure. Gets soaked fast. Gotta throw the heat fast then start trucking.

Thanks waterhorse!

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Fuel cell is complete for the #wingnutbuggy, aside from mounting. Kept the filler low and off to the side to save room for a basket/ rack of some sort, (that I'm still designing in my brain). 25x12 area above the cell.

CutlerFab

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Killer work. Thank you for sharing the tech on the tig; I hope to get to being proficient with it like you some day.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Killer work. Thank you for sharing the tech on the tig; I hope to get to being proficient with it like you some day.
Thanks, but I don't consider myself proficient yet. Honestly, until I got on Instagram, I thought I was good at a lot of things...

I still call and message people whose quality I try to achieve, for advice. The welding and fabricating community on Instagram is tremendous. And always open to share or help. That was the great thing about going to Fabtech last fall, being and talking shop with like minded folks.

Best advice I can give to get better at tig... put your hood down and screw up a bunch. Call me if I can help.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
The one thing I always hated about working with/welding on aluminum was the simple fact of not being able to tell if it was hot. Get stainless hot, you can tell, get mild steel hot, you can tell. Get alum hot, and I'll slap my hand on it every time.

Your welds are looking fantactic.

Are you buying acetone by the 55gal drum yet:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The one thing I always hated about working with/welding on aluminum was the simple fact of not being able to tell if it was hot. Get stainless hot, you can tell, get mild steel hot, you can tell. Get alum hot, and I'll slap my hand on it every time.

Your welds are looking fantactic.

Are you buying acetone by the 55gal drum yet:flipoff2:
That can be an issue, lol. But frankly, at 1/8th, it welds so much better when it's good and hot; 063, not so much.

Not by the drum yet, but I did finally just get a couple vented, labeled, chemist squirt bottles...I don't use nearly as much as I did by just splashing it on a rag from a gallon can.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
That can be an issue, lol. But frankly, at 1/8th, it welds so much better when it's good and hot; 063, not so much.

Not by the drum yet, but I did finally just get a couple vented, labeled, chemist squirt bottles...I don't use nearly as much as I did by just splashing it on a rag from a gallon can.

Why not a SureShot?

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200413774_200413774?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Lawn + Garden > Sprayers > Handheld Sprayers&utm_campaign=Vaper&utm_content=154279&gclid=CjwKCAjwycfkBRAFEiwAnLX5IcFPTaaLGsUGn-SoqFuCclB789lPcsJqacgSqTKigSbIT8OpVAnDphoC7yMQAvD_BwE

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Says not for use with paint products. And a non-vented bottle will leak due to atmosphere, these bottles have an anti-siphoning device built in. Bought two of these qt. bottles for $40 shipped from usplastic.com. part #71456

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Says not for use with paint products. And a non-vented bottle will leak due to atmosphere, these bottles have an anti-siphoning device built in. Bought two of these qt. bottles for $40 shipped from usplastic.com. part #71456
Whoooooops.....

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Do you have a designated stainless wire brush and tig gloves for welding aluminum, and do you wipe everything down with acetone (including the filler) before you start welding? I have found that I end up with the same black speckles in my aluminum welds from garbage being on my tig gloves, or not wiping everything down good

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Do you have a designated stainless wire brush and tig gloves for welding aluminum, and do you wipe everything down with acetone (including the filler) before you start welding? I have found that I end up with the same black speckles in my aluminum welds from garbage being on my tig gloves, or not wiping everything down good
Absolutely I do. All of the above, and sometimes red scotchbrite the filler if it has been lying uncovered on the bench while grinding. I even acetone the brushes frequently.

Best thing for the starts is go in hot with the pedal, and don't try to creep up to temp, like on steel. Seems to keep the smudge at a minimum. Along with welding out while everything is still warm, provided you can move around to control warpage.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
A great event, aimed toward big industry but something there for everyone. Went to 3 pre and post meet and greet parties, all arranged through Instagram welding/fabrication community pages. The pre party was held by Apexish and Jody Collier from welding tips and tricks about 200 welders and fabricators attended. 2nd night went to a drinks social held by another vendor. And 3rd night went to Brian Fuller's new shop for a catered event.

But the show is amazing. So much technology that I had only heard about. There were million dollar displays of machines that dreams are made of... everything functional on sight. This is one of the driving factors for selling the comanche and diving in on fabrication.

I'll be attending again this year.

Also, I bought my fireball squares there at a 25% expo discount. But it was a long hump back to the CutlerFab redneck Hilton, 12 passenger van toting about 100 lbs of cast steel

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Btw, Instagram is where all the tech is now. Still can't be searched and categorized like a forum. But it's there, and it's not Facebook....I hate Facebook. Practically every ultra 4 team is there showing out the new gear and tech.

On Instagram, every build I'm working on gets it's own hashtag; ex #wingnutbuggy. Then someone could follow the hashtag to keep up with the build.

Check it out, go to my page #cutlerfab, check out who I follow, look through their pages, mucho tech there.

41 - 60 of 233 Posts