Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading to a HP third, how much should I shorten the front DS? I'm sure I'll double check before I do it, and after I have the 3rd in place, but ballpark...4" or so? I suppose I could us my HS geometry, if I could remember it.

Doc

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2.34945 inches
Oh, a battle of wits...I accept. Now say something useful or witty.

Doc

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Measure the horizontal distance between your transfer case and driveshaft flanges and use that as your A measurement. Than measure your vertical distance from your flanges for your Low-pinion setup and use that as your B measurement. Use the pythagorean formula A^2 + B^2 = C^2 you can find your current driveshaft length. After doing this, redo the formula with the vertical distance between your transfercase flange and a high pinion third. The difference between the 2 C measurments is how much you need to shorten the driveshaft.

If it were me I would wait until the 3rd is in and just measure the difference at that time.

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kajo, thanks. I will measure it for sure, just kinda curious how much I'm going to be cutting off. And since it's a slow day on the list...I'd think that 1/2 of the distance delta should come off of each part of the DS, eh?

Oh, and Lemooreon, I moved out of Visalia 20 years ago to get away from people like you. So to answer your question, no, just stay where you are. :flipoff2:

Doc

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Roc Doc said:
Kajo, thanks. I will measure it for sure, just kinda curious how much I'm going to be cutting off. And since it's a slow day on the list...I'd think that 1/2 of the distance delta should come off of each part of the DS, eh?

Oh, and Lemooreon, I moved out of Visalia 20 years ago to get away from people like you. So to answer your question, no, just stay where you are. :flipoff2:

Doc

:smokin: Thats cool.

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, all in good fun.

Doc :jester:

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also like to use a silver sharpie to mark a line all around of the driveshaft when its fully compressed. I did this, and found that my shaft with an extra 2.5" was bottoming out.

I'm not shure I follow you on that. I understand the whole bottoming out thing, but I don't see how what you did helped you to figure out the amount of slip.

Doc

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
From a Rocket Scientist: :shaking:

Install the d-shaft, measure from the back of the yoke up the outside of the d-shaft three inches and make a mark. Take the d-shaft off and on the outside d-shaft cut on the mark all the way through removing that piece. De-burr the cut and slide the inside of the d-shaft all the way in. If it does not go all the way to the back of the yoke, measure and cut that much off plus one inch off the inside d-shaft. You will be fine.

I just installed a high-pinion diff and I only had three quarters of an inch of spline showing. I cut two and one-half inches back from the yoke where it was welded, took that piece off the yoke, installed it back on the tube and aligned it. Welded it up and it works fine! :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
When its off the truck, compress it all the way and make a mark all around with a silver sharpie. When the driveshaft moves, it will scratch up the other half. Those scratches tell you how far the driveshaft is moving, and if they go all the way to the silver line, you know your gonna break something.

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks doodz.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
GRMhick said:
When its off the truck, compress it all the way and make a mark all around with a silver sharpie. When the driveshaft moves, it will scratch up the other half. Those scratches tell you how far the driveshaft is moving, and if they go all the way to the silver line, you know your gonna break something.
Good idea. So obvious I would have never thought of it.

-tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts