Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start on my suburban tonite by cuttin the roof off after the second set of doors. However I'm going to keep the old roof, and use it as some type of removable top similar to a blazer. I'll post pics tonite!!! Can't wait....bwahahaha.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have been toying with this idea for about a year now. Let us know what you had to do.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
what about finding a blazer and grafting the rear portion onto the suburban body? It'd be alot cleaner install and you wouldn't have to fight with making a new top. I actually thought about doing this with a supercab ford and a bronco, but finding supercab pickups cheap isn't that easy oddly enough.

Justin

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've come up with another option as well let me know what you think. What about cutting off just the back portion of a truck cab...thus leaving the glass and the back wall of the cab, and the top/back corner, and grafting that in, making it almost into an avalanche? What do you think? I'm also considering using the plastic molded pieces for the "bedcaps". Then of course I'll line-x the bed...and maybe go back later and make sheet-metal pieces that are molded to the shape of the plastic ones for better durability. What do you guys think? Let me know...because I didn't get started the other night, but tonite I think is the night and I'm itching to use my sawzall (haven't gotten to use this in a while).

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
so it'd basically look like a 3+3 pickup without the bed/cab split? Sounds like it could be interesting. . .

Justin

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah something like that. If anyone has any pictures of anything like this post em up if you don't mind.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I predict that after you take it off, you'll never put it back on. Except maybe once... then you'll remove it promptly... :D

Take pics bra

·
Registered
6,418 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

LOVE the plywood.... Touch of class....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the plywood is NIIIIIIIIIIICE...nah, tonite I drilled from inside the burb, out through the roof, several pilot holes for the sawzall cutting that will take place. I got home really late last night, and since all my neighbors hate me pretty much already, didn't want to fire it up at 1 a.m.. But I had an idea last night of a bed bob in the midst of this hacking off the roof. Maybe cutting off the last 6" or so of a truck and grafting that onto the back so that I can still have a tailgate. But not sure how much it will cost me to buy that piece from the 'yard. Anyways, Saturday will be the latest that I'll be starting this project, so I'll have some pics soon. By the way this burb is really nice as far as paint and stuff and I almost feel bad, but what the hell I only paid $250 for it. I was thinking of possibly narrowing the front as well...but not sure on that yet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
sprtn4x4cw said:
Yeah, the plywood is NIIIIIIIIIIICE...nah, tonite I drilled from inside the burb, out through the roof, several pilot holes for the sawzall cutting that will take place. I got home really late last night, and since all my neighbors hate me pretty much already, didn't want to fire it up at 1 a.m.. But I had an idea last night of a bed bob in the midst of this hacking off the roof. Maybe cutting off the last 6" or so of a truck and grafting that onto the back so that I can still have a tailgate. But not sure how much it will cost me to buy that piece from the 'yard. Anyways, Saturday will be the latest that I'll be starting this project, so I'll have some pics soon. By the way this burb is really nice as far as paint and stuff and I almost feel bad, but what the hell I only paid $250 for it. I was thinking of possibly narrowing the front as well...but not sure on that yet.
It's funny that you mention that. I was thinking of taking the tailgate and frame portion from a sub or b-laz to put in behind the rear seat, and french the floor so that I could put the tailgate down to keep my space. And with the complete frame portion, I would have a rear power window too. DOOOIT!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Find a roof from an old crewcab, cut it off at the window and door frames in the front and middle, and below the rear window at the back. this will give you a roof with the bracing ribs stamped in and will be much easier to weld on. Make a filler panel for below the window. Cap the bed rails with the rails off a truck or blazer box and install a normal pickup tailgate.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, once again got home too late, but got a lot of measuring and taping off cutting lines and stuff like that done. Tomorrow is when I'll start, I don't work on Saturdays so hopefully I'll get most of the way done with this tomorrow.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, here's the pictures of the cutting of the top.

This is the holes that I drilled in the top to ensure a "fairly" straight line.

This is me making the cut from the inside of the Burb.

This is the cut looking at it from the inside. I made the cut right along the split between the rear and front headliner brace.

This is what the cut in the top part of the back looks like from the outside, this next picture is the piece of sheet metal we're using for a template to make angle match up through the open window.

This is me cutting the back pillar supports beside the tailgate and back glass.

This is the top off and this next one is me showing my approval of my cuts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts