Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is tech enough, but I was wondering if anyone's had to cut through a sprayed-in liner. I'm bobing the bed on my 85 yota, and it's been line-xed. Plans are to used a sawsall to make the cuts, then I gotta figure a way to remove about an two inches of material. Grinder? Anyone with any ideas? Also, to anyone who's bobed a bed, which method did you use to cut it, and how'd it work?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Use a utility knife to cut where you want the line-X to end, then use an air chisel or a grinder. Good luck, the stuff will melt if you get it too hot with the grinder...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man...I appreciate the speedy reply. Anybody done a bob-job that wants to contribute some info?
Allan

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
bobbing....make a line (tape?) at the end of the bed...there is a body joint that joins the side and back corner, if you use that as your line it is lined up across the bed section (also you know your equal on both sides....then make a measurement "X" amount (amount you want bobbed off) of inches forward and of the first line, square it to the first line. Make it easy on yourself and check undernieth first so you don't choose a cut and have to go through an unnecessary thick part, and it's easier if you make the lines on the edge of the support rail of the bed (under) it keeps the sawzall from wondering too much.

Then cut.... I have used a jig saw on one bed and a sawzall on another.....both worked but the jig saw went through blades like madd, though it had a more straight and controlled line and the sawzall was fast but shook the shit out of the partially separated sheet metal which made it hard to make the striaght line after a while...

·
Registered
801 Posts
Allen, I can probably run out to your area this weekend and you can check out my bob on my Toy if you want. Here's the link to bobbing my Toy. Hell, since your not to far away I can even help you out if you want.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just cut out the inner fenders of my EB, it is Rhino'd.
wanted to use my plasma cutter, so I used a great wire brush I got at harbor freight in my 4.5" grinder.

the wire brush is like a wheel, except the bristles are twisted into bunches like spokes around the hub.

It looks a lot like this one, but it is heavy steel bristles:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=6774

It ripped a nice clean line for me to cut through with surprisingly little effort, and the brush looks like it hasn't been used.
Great for cleaning up welds too.

The rhino will quickly "gunk up" normal 4" grinding wheels.

hope this helps.

alan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Toyofast:
HOT DAMN I finally found someone CLOSE! I pulled the inner panels off the bed today and have everything ready to mark and cut, will prolly be doin it next monday. I would love to get a look at your bob-job, uhhh...I need to think of a day we could meet up. You done any trail rides in the HR area? We've got a club started that you might be interested in joining. My email is [email protected] if you would like to send me a msg to figure things out...Thanks!
Allan
P.S. thanks to you other guys too, appreciate the help!

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you gonna use a jig hose the blade with oil during cutting...it will cut faster and you won't go through 50 million blades.

I once cut a 12" kicker with a jig took 3 blades and a quart of 15-40

1 - 11 of 11 Posts