Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
they are still selling the shit out booze, wine, beer and lottery round these parts.....Actaully cigs werent that big a seller, so I am guessing it is a llittle publicity about elimiinating a money losing portion of their bidness.
i guess if you consider that annually CVS makes 2 BILLION dollars from cigarette sales is classified as a money loser:flipoff2:

·
Hophead
77,611 Posts
i guess if you consider that annually CVS makes 2 BILLION dollars from cigarette sales is classified as a money loser:flipoff2:
So what are their expenses from cigarette sales?

In order to get discounts and kickbacks from the cig companies they have to give X amount of visible space behind the counter. I'm betting some bean counters sat down and crunched numbers that said they could display other, high profit items in that behind counter space and make more $$$

·
Premium Member
21,641 Posts
what if said company supported and sold anti land use stickers and magazines and advertised that fact as a "green" store or some shit. Does that still not matter because you dont partake?

Edit: because lots of people here boycott brands and stores that sell those brands on principle. No different then avoiding a store that makes a lot of money off philip morris or whatever
That's a whole different thing than the tobacco issue, land use is a right. CVS can sell whatever they want IMO. The fact some toolbags are being extra douchey about what they do or don't sell only goes to show how dialated their vag's are.

That's akin to saying I'm gonna only shop at walmart now because they are gonna stop selling makeup and I hate makeup and those that use it, so yay for them. :shaking: That's a juvenile mentality at best.

Again, good for them for doing what they want...their store, sell what ever they want.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts

In order to get discounts and kickbacks from the cig companies they have to give X amount of visible space behind the counter. I'm betting some bean counters sat down and crunched numbers that said they could display other, high profit items in that behind counter space and make more $$$
Pretty much what I think. They said that their projected profit forecast was not affected by this.

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
No, they SELL $2 billion in tobacco each year. That is not how much they make. It's about 2% of their total sales.

i was listening to Robin(sp?) Quivers News today on Howard Stern. She quoted some spokes person stating that of the 25 Billion in sales annually, 2 Billion was cig sales. That is 8% of their sales and i would argue that it is NOT a losing asset.

In the same 'news', the spokesperson said that the company did not want to sell stuff that did harm to people.
Ha.
Considering OTC and RX drugs are the leading cause of accidental death in the USA, i found that statement quite amusing.

·
Hophead
77,611 Posts
i was listening to Robin(sp?) Quivers News today on Howard Stern. She quoted some spokes person stating that of the 25 Billion in sales annually, 2 Billion was cig sales. That is 8% of their sales and i would argue that it is NOT a losing asset.

In the same 'news', the spokesperson said that the company did not want to sell stuff that did harm to people.
Ha.
Considering OTC and RX drugs are the leading cause of accidental death in the USA, i found that statement quite amusing.
In 2012 CVS' sales revenue was $123B

Keep on using Stern as your news source :flipoff2:

·
Registered
30,983 Posts
Some of you fuckers that don't smoke or dip or chew would have your feeble little minds blown if you knew how much money you spend with companies like Phillip Morris and R.J. Reynolds every year.

Tobacco is only part of what they do.

·
Registered
14,555 Posts

Ha.
OTC and Rx drugs keep 10000x as many people alive as they kill. How many tobacco products keep people alive?

·
Hophead
77,611 Posts
Some of you fuckers that don't smoke or dip or chew would have your feeble little minds blown if you knew how much money you spend with companies like Phillip Morris and R.J. Reynolds every year.

Tobacco is only part of what they do.
Enlighten us.

RJR used to own/be merged with other companies but I believe they have pretty much divested themselves of all other interests and are tobacco only now. Phillip Morris is the tobacco company of Altria, they used to also have Kraft but they spun off. I think Altria is just PM, some smokeless tobacco company and a wine company, may be slightly off though

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Good. Cvs will be my drug store of choice from now on.
CVS will lose money and some other shop/store/gas station will get more money. I don't see a problem with it. Didn't CVS also pull booze as well? I haven't been inside one for years...
Me too. Now walgreens needs to follow suit cause I like them more
No, they SELL $2 billion in tobacco each year. That is not how much they make. It's about 2% of their total sales.

For all of you praising CVS for stopping the tobacco sales, or saying that CVS is going to lose money over it, now the real reason comes out (and it turns out that CVS stands to make up a lot of that $2 billion).

CVS plans to punish pharmacies that still sell tobacco

CVS apparently has a plan to make up some of the $2 billion in annual sales that it's losing from cutting off the sale of cigarettes and other tobacco products last month. According to The Wall Street Journal, the plan takes advantage of the fact that CVS also owns Caremark, one of the United States' largest pharmacy benefits managers — which are intermediaries between insurance companies and pharmacies. CVS' reported plan is to have Caremark begin raising certain customers' copays by up to $15 when they fill a prescription at a pharmacy that sells tobacco products.

The result would be twofold: other pharmacies may begin feeling pressure to cut off tobacco sales, and CVS would become a more appealing place to fill prescriptions.

·
Registered
14,843 Posts
For all of you praising CVS for stopping the tobacco sales, or saying that CVS is going to lose money over it, now the real reason comes out (and it turns out that CVS stands to make up a lot of that $2 billion).

CVS plans to punish pharmacies that still sell tobacco
Of course. As always, it's all about the money.
And some people thought this company was doing something "good" out of their heart.

The world is making my pretty cynical these days. I almost wonder if someone that stops to help a dying cat on the road is actually just trying to get the $100 bill underneath it. :laughing:

·
Registered
24,326 Posts
I knew something was up.... I just figured their affiliated dr network was going to prescribe the shit out of nicotine quitting helpers..... if I was a stock holder I would want to beat their heads in for jumping out of tobacco and also missing the new vapor fad stuff. The stock wod have improved even more if they were not banking on the constant increase of prescriptions that are written everyday.

I wanted a can of butane to power my portable soldering iron a few weeks ago..... they don't have it anymore.... i went to a dot store instead across the street..... i bet they fucking love it.... especially after not having to compete with a box store price.:laughing:

Businesses can do what they want.... but if I owned part of it I would be peeved.

Fuckin A.

Edit: will this pass another anti-trust litmus test?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts