Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have bitten the bullet and are about to order a set of profield cv's to shove in the front of the RR.

Has Toy 4.3 rev cut hipinion.
Custom axles to suit.
Should make for a top set up with being overly expensive.

Michael.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
hey Michael - who makes the profields? are these another Oz goodie? haven't been too up to date lately.

cheers,

isaac

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All Pro off road USA.
Michael.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
HA!! - You will break your shiat all over the place!!! (probably not)

I just ordered a set of longfields :flipoff2:

Already got my 30 spline drive flanges and am going to run a stock toy axle on the short side and have to get one custom longside axle from Jac Mac.

Michael, what are you doing about the spindle bushes?? Jac Mac said to just buy toyota ones and machine them to fit into the rover spindle. Seems simple enough although I havnt chased these up yet. What Im not sure about is how do you know what "height" to set the toy bushing at. Obviously the CV needs to be "centred" about the turning centre of the swivel ball.

Sam

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
OS - I had thought bobby would treat a set of rover CV's if you shipped him a pair. didn't roverwrench (john) have a pair of suffix A's done up for his D1? I had thought there was someone else, maybe not.

as far as the heat treatment, annealing, cryogenic stuff etc. etc. - anyone can have this done, and it might be cheaper than you think. since there's a place fairly local to me, i've been counting off the days i can have a new set of suffix A's and a pair of 4.1 R&P's sent down to here:

http://www.onecryo.com/

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
SeaRover said:
OS - I had thought bobby would treat a set of rover CV's if you shipped him a pair. didn't roverwrench (john) have a pair of suffix A's done up for his D1? I had thought there was someone else, maybe not.

as far as the heat treatment, annealing, cryogenic stuff etc. etc. - anyone can have this done, and it might be cheaper than you think. since there's a place fairly local to me, i've been counting off the days i can have a new set of suffix A's and a pair of 4.1 R&P's sent down to here:

http://www.onecryo.com/
I will never deal with Bobby Long after what I have seen on this board! What does a Suffix A go for? It looks like the Toy guys are getting a great deal on new beefer units for VERY cheap!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I will never deal with Bobby Long after what I have seen on this board!
i wasn't aware that there have been issues with his biz practices. i'll have to do a couple searches. :(

suffix A from DAP run $179 a piece.

while i can't refute the price of the CV's individually, it's going to cost a non marginal lump o' dinero to fit them.

mine are a) worn out and b) 32 spline, so i guess i'm fawked either way :flipoff2:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sam,
Me being lazy and having a spare set of spindles around, I will just drop them off at Jacmac's to have bushes fitted.

Which Toy axle fits in.

regards
Michael.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It looks like a toyota landcruiser (any landcruiser from 1978 - 1989, these are all the same length) will work although I havent actually done this yet. So any 40,45,47,60,61,62,70,73,75 series Landcruiser short side front axle is what I think will work.

The length looks correct to within 3mm.

Sam

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well its done.

Ordered payed for.

now the waiting untill they arive.

Michael.

·
Registered
72 Posts
didn't roverwrench (john) have a pair of suffix A's done up for his D1?

Yes, he welded the outer ring on a set for me which are still in the truck, also he cryo'd (no welded ring) a set for me(spares) which I havent had to use yet. I broke my GBR HD front CV's when wheeling Tellico with Tisdale and went then to the suffolk A's. Its a hell of an improvement with the heavier front axles plus I also should break the 10 spline drive flange first hopefully...5 bolt swap out instead of the suffolk A's or front axles.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
so they've held - that's good to hear. Just curious - did he heat-treat or cryo the ring'd set as well, or just the spares? Some friends of mine and I had a debate a while ago about where the strength had come from - I had argued that the ring probably wasn't necessary, but i'm no metallurgist, either.

Michael - we're going to need some pics, eh? ;) We haven't seen any of you flogging that holden in the muck recently - my rig is busted, I've depleted my rover web-wheeling resources, and well . . .it looks like we'll have fresh CV's in the house ;)

cheers,

isaac

1 - 13 of 13 Posts