Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some searches and checked through BillaVista's amazing FAQ, but can't find the answer . . . . seems like it is no big deal to turn down the front hub on a D-60 so that a 5x5.5 wheel can fit. Then it seems that most folks use a 1/2 ton 5x5.5 rotor. Anybody out there use the 1 ton Ford rotor with a 5x5.5 pattern?

Is it possible? It looks like the hole in the 1 ton Ford rotor may be too large in diamater and won't let you drill a 5x5.5 pattern in it.

TIA

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
The following was taken from BillaVista's article;

The way most people do this is to use the D60 hubs and turn them down to fit through the 5 lug rims, turn the backsides down to fit the 5 lug rotors, and then re-drill the flanges. Then you just have to make a caliper bracket to fit (see 3/4 ton brake conversion above).

I converted a D60 over to 5 on 5.5 this fall. I used a mix of Dana 60 parts and Dana 44 parts to get it done. All parts are Ford 1979 Dana 60, Ford half ton, or Chevy half ton.
Here’s the parts list:
Dana 60 spindle
Dana 60 hub machined down and re-drilled to 5 on 5.5
Dana 44 rotor (F-150/Bronco) center bore machined out to fit on the Dana 60 hub
Machined brake caliper bracket out of 1/2 steel. Basically flat but machined to allow 1/4" clearance for brake pads. Incorporated Dana 60 spindle pattern and Howe twin piston Chevy calipers. These were needed for clearance at piston and knuckle. Knuckle needed slight grinding to allow free caliper clearance. But they work awesome so worth the extra money.
F-150 wheel studs
Getting the hub and brakes machined and re-drilled was cheap. Around $150. The brakes cost substantially more. I hate to say what I paid for the caliper bracket, but if you have a buddy who is a machinist you could probable replicate for a lot less. the Howe calipers were around $220 for the set. Well worth the extra over standard calipers in my opinion.

I did the same conversion to 5 lug on my Hybrid Dana6/Ford9" front. Some pics: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albu...=1&showall=true
I used a 60 hub, re-drilled. 1 hole is almost 1/2 way into one of the old 8 lug locations. I tack welded the stud to keep it straight. OD of the hub turned down, back side of the hub matched to F150 rotors. I had a local metal shop flame cut the caliper brackets from 3/8" plate (7/16 would be better). I had a tracing of Dynatrac's bracket. Transferred the spindle bolt pattern. I used GM / FSJ 2 bolt calipers. A little grinding on the knuckle, and slid them out 1/8" or so for more knuckle clearance. No problem with 15" wheels. Took a lot of figuring and measuring, but came out great and pretty cheap. I have a good connection for machine work, but really nothing too sophisticated. BTW, Sunray will do this conversion with your parts. $800

Another method is a Chevy 60 knuckle, a 60 outer shaft, a Chevy 44 spindle, a 1/2" thick spacer/adaptor to bolt to the 60 knuckle and bolt the spindle to, then you use a 44 hub, rotor, backing plate, and caliper, and a lockout can be bought from Warn, its the one they are using in their rear full float conversions, same 30 spline as the 60 shaft, and fits in the 44 hub. They are running no spindle bearings, you do end up trimming a little off the spline end of the outer shaft, cause its to long, but it all goes together, and the only thing the people running it have broken is a hub.

I've heard of this set-up before, never seen it though. Talked extensively with a guy in WA that makes a kit like that but wants $900 for it!! What he does is make a spacer, bore out a big bearing D44 spindle till the bearing fits, adapts D60 lockout hub internals into a D44 lock-out. Not sure if that’s the right way to do it but that’s what he told me!

Guess you didn't look hard enough.

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Out of curiosity... What is the size of the 1 ton rotor?

I've got D44/D60 running discs on both... But using the 77 Bronco rotors and Chevy 3/4 calipers and pads... Just wondering how much larger they are...

Sorry for thread hi-jack...

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
jgarden1 said:
Looks like you didn't READ well enough El Jefe. I want to use the 1 ton rotor, not a 1/2 ton Dana 44 rotor! Thanks for trying though! :flipoff2:

Ah, grasshopper, you have exposed my poor reading skills. You have bested me in battle.

I missed the 1-ton rotor part.;)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
:longtime newby SMACKS true newby:

I've thought about doing this in the past- but never got the real desire to find out since my rig will stop on a dime. I *believe* it is possible but some interesting filling and drilling may be necessary.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 99 and up rotors are bigger than the older 60F rotors.

I thought the whole point of changing a 60F from 8 lug to 5 or 6 was to run smaller wheels. Why convert it a still keep the big rotor and not be able to run small wheels?

Don't waste the money converting it and buy 8 lug wheels. You will have to run 5 lug on the back also and there isn't a 5 lug rear out there that is worth much off road.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is actually going in a 71 EB. I had a 76 EB wtih 35s and was never overly impressed with the std D44 brakes. I suppose you are using the stock Durango m/c and booster? The durango probably has a pretty good booster in it (better than the EBs and you probably are making close to 20 inches of vacuum, assuming a stock Durango engine. Do you know what size the Durango m/c is?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
running stock M/C and booster... Have no clue what the specs are on them...

But works well with the front 44 and rear 60 using the discs.... No changes in proportioning valve either... Just "plug and play".. hehe

using K20 (78-83) calipers and pads... with 77 bronco rotors.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The plan is 5x5.5. 60/9 hybrid Front with Ford 1 ton rotor and calipers. I have 16 inch 5x5.5 beadlock wheels, so clearance of the calipers is not an issue. I would like to run the Ford dual piston calipers. I have a built 9 inch for the rear, so I am not worried about that.

If I was starting from scratch and didn't already have a 5x5.5 rear end and 16 inch beadlock wheels, then I might go 8 lug. I also still think it is nice to have 5x5.5, as that is the pattern most of my wheelin buddies are running, which makes "stealing" wheel on the trail much easier (i.e., possible).

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
yup... the specific reason i picked 5 on 5.5 when building my axles...

I figure (until there are more 1 ton axles out there) there are two patterns offroad.... 5 on 5.5 and 6 on 5.5...

I can borrow from Ford, Dodge and CJ. 6 lug limits it to Toy and Chev. (in my exp.. less of these)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.