Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has been constructing us both a rear bumper/tire carrier. He found d-rings that bolt in through the bumper using 2 grade 8 bolts. The d-rings themselves are rated at 11,000 lbs. Will this be sufficient? Or would he be better off welding on some mounts for a d-ring.

Thanks. :confused:

Here is his first attempt

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Personally, I would feel plenty comfortable with the two bolts.

I'd weld tubing into the holes for two 5/8 or larger bolts to prevent the bumper from collapsing during a hard tug, and worry about tearing the bumper off the frame before I worried about the D-ring mounts coming off. :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
looks good I would sleeve the bolt holes also if you haven't already. What are you guys using for the pivot?

·
Registered
764 Posts
wazup, Sears???

I spoke my peace on the other board. I hope ya don't get sued.

Russ

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
For sure sleve the holes but the 2 bolts will be plenty strong. I have the same D-rings and welded them on because I saw no reason to take them off so why have bolt that can come loose was my thinking.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
who are you?

I spoke my peace on the other board. I hope ya don't get sued.
Huh :confused:

I think you have me cornfused with somebody else.

We probably will go ahead and weld them on there. Thanks guys. :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
the only problem i found with welding them on is fawking with the heat treatment of the steel..rated at 11,000lbs each, they just about have to be something other than joe schmoe steel there wasn't an actual designation for the steel type used on the sticker that came on them..

....i thought hard about welding them but didn't, although i may resort to that. the bolts that hold them on are 3/8" grade 8. supposedly they have a tensil strength of about 11,600 lbs each, (in a tension load) but i'm not sure on that...

·
Registered
873 Posts
3/8 grade 8 at min can hold 16,500# per bolt in pure tension. So, your bolts are beefy enough. Beware of welding heat treated steel...you'll weaken it significantly. Also, be very careful of steel that is galvinized or zinc coated...the fumes can make you pretty sick for about 5days.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
The D-rings I have always seen were a cast or forged steel ring with a stamped out bracket to hold them. The bracket is not hardened or of good steel because it is stamped out, then bent and formed to make room or the D-ring. 11,000 is nothing and is easy to achieve, for example. The pin on the 9,000lb winch is 3/8 and not made of really good stuff and works great so don't over think this.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
I just bought 4 of those D-rings today at Tractor Supply Company. They are a great deal at $5.25 each. I was thinking about drilling the holes out to use a 1/2" bolt since the holes are square for use with carriage heads (??why??).

·
Registered
600 Posts
nice how much 2 make one for me

·
Registered
226 Posts
those "D-rings" are fine but my personal prefrence is to weld a piece of flatbar to the bumper with a hole for shackle/ancor/clevis(whatever you call them) pins. I like it this way so when i need to be towed or have to tow someone else i don`t have to look for the shackle/ancor/clevis pin. Go with whatever works for you:flipoff2:
just my $.02

·
Registered
657 Posts
I like these better

Those rings are the same ones we weld onto the trailers we build for tiedowns - also have a 1/2" thick weld on version...

I like this style a whole lot better - it also puts the up and down pull forces along the pin rather than trying to pry the bracket off the bumper...

Just my 2cts

Matt :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts