Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
just don't know how much it would help with the newer D20 case
I have read a lot of conflicting info on whether the Dana 20 case is really all that much stronger, some say it isn't stronger, other sources say it is "marginally stronger". I don't know if it would be worth the trouble unless I can find something that shows it as significantly better and WHY it is better.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A D20 case ( or later large bore 18 case ) is required for the TeraLow 3.15 gearset I think.....

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Tri-County gear, and maybe a few other companies, offered one at one time.

The unit basically tied the bottom cover bolts into the rear pto cover bolts. You couldn't use them with an overdrive or PTO. I have thought about making one for my new D18 project, but just don't know how much it would help with the newer D20 case?

Still available here?

http://www.tricountygear.com/tri-country/tcg_engineered.html

Is there a history of those girdles actually working as advertised? The stress on the transfer case from 300 ft pounds of engine torque and the gears trying to climb over each other might overwhelm that piece?????

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
A D20 case ( or later large bore 18 case ) is required for the TeraLow 3.15 gearset I think.....
Why, and has anyone done it in a 1965 and older case with a 1 1/4" shaft? 1966, and newer 18's are the 20 case.
I only post, because I can't understand why. Some cases have to be ground to get the big main shaft gear in. Is this why?

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Why, and has anyone done it in a 1965 and older case with a 1 1/4" shaft? 1966, and newer 18's are the 20 case.
I only post, because I can't understand why. Some cases have to be ground to get the big main shaft gear in. Is this why?
I remember something about grinding the case...

I know on the deeper O'brian gears you had to REALLY mod the case.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Is there a history of those girdles actually working as advertised? The stress on the transfer case from 300 ft pounds of engine torque and the gears trying to climb over each other might overwhelm that piece?????
They sold them for a pretty long time. I can't see them hurting anything?

The stock D18 case is actually a pretty strong unit overall, far stronger than its 60hp roots would lead most to believe.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
They sold them for a pretty long time. I can't see them hurting anything?

The stock D18 case is actually a pretty strong unit overall, far stronger than its 60hp roots would lead most to believe.
I'm thinking any external bracing designed to reinforce a casting needs to have a "preload". I don't see that. Of course it won't hurt and might even do the job,I'm just speculating.

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Has anyone run the tapered bearing intermediate shaft that could share some thoughts?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I actually ran it on my dana 20 when I had the dual transmissions in my flatty... I used it because I had it, probably not needed in a dana 20. The pin kit works basically the same as the way a NP205 is laid out .

I have a plan for the case in a future build though.. the trans-dapt cover works great... seals waaaaaaay better than the stamped tin one, the only cover I have seen that was thicker was the ramsey Dana 20 PTO cover that runs off the idler gear

in an earlier post someone complained about shift rail seals leaking.... I always replaced the ones in the kit with double lip seals it really cut down on the grit getting in and messing up the garter spring on the seal

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I find it interesting that the AA tapered bearing conversion doesn't use a spacer and shim between the bearings like the NP205 does?

Does anyone know if the AA shaft will work with the Tera 3.15 gears? I wonder if the Tera gears have enough room for the new bearing cups to be machined in?

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
Anyone have a source for a rear output yoke? Mine's running oil out of it everytime I drive it now, from all seals, and I'm pretty sure with the output yoke having the groove on the sealing surface, it isn't helping.

·
Registered
997 Posts
You can get a speedy sleeve that will fix up the worn area on your yoke seal surface.
Made by CR seals and a few others you just need a caliper to measure your yoke and pretty much any bearing supplier can get them.......

·
Registered
997 Posts
Used to have a 4.3v6 joined to a SM 420 then to a T 19 and a Dana20 from a
IH scout I made a custom main shaft for the 420 that was internally splined
Then used the larger 2 ton truck T19 input gear cut down it was long,heavy and
Had a lot of shifters (and 406:1 with my 4.56 axles)

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Question of the day...

What is the part number for the spicer 1310 yoke that comes with u-bolts instead of straps?

Lots of strap and CV options here...

http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/PTI-3104-10.html

I guess I need to go dig through the Spicer catalog....

U-Joint Series 1310
Spline Major Diameter 1.125
Spline Count 10.000
Spline Type
Spline Pressure Angle
Ground Hub Diameter R 1.552
Length Thru Bore Q 1.500
Centerline of Joint to End of Spline S 3.000
Universal Joint Retaining Width E 3.219
Universal Joint Bearing Diameter D 1.062
Counterbore Depth 0.000
Joint Angle 25.000

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
You can get a speedy sleeve that will fix up the worn area on your yoke seal surface.
Made by CR seals and a few others you just need a caliper to measure your yoke and pretty much any bearing supplier can get them.......
The Speedi Sleeves work out ok....But they are quite pricey ..

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Willie Worthy wrote this in Jp a few years back, mentions old Studebaker OD units, Rancho overdrives and even a three speed D18 custom made in a shop in Hemet:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/154_0611_old_school/viewall.html

quote:

"Believe it or not, there actually was a three-speed version of Spicer 18 built back in the 1960s. Thing is, it wasn't built by Spicer. It was made from plate steel that was welded together and then heat-treated to relieve the stress before being machined. It had to be about 1962 or 1963, and I was for some reason or another in Buschert's Machine Shop in Hemet, California. Harry Buschert was showing a buddy and I this prototype that he had developed. I don't think that there were over a half dozen ever made, and each one was a bit different. I wouldn't swear to it, but I believe it had a lower low range than the normal 2.46 gearing, a 1:1 high range, and an overdrive range. Harry was on the right track and way ahead of his time when he built these. Little could he imagine that some day a three-speed and a four-speed transfer case would be in production."

might be worth some google searching

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So what total rebuild kit has the best bearings? I have heard that the Novak kit might have changed there bearings?

21 - 40 of 113 Posts