Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot find any threads that have talked about the relaibility of this swap. I have read all of the posts on the swap itself but no mention of:

1) How have the gears held up? Any abnormal gear wear?

2) An other reliability issues.

By the way, I only have a few posts because all I do is SEARCH and READ!!

Thanks
Scott P.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Why would there be any reliability issues? You're swapping Spicer gears from one Spicer case to another. There are lots of Dana 18's still running perfectly out there.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Related Q:

If you swap the D18 gears into the 20 case, is it possible to use one of the Warn/AA Saturn OD units with the centered output?

Never been inside a -18, so I'm curious.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
The cases are nearly physically identical. So yes, you can use the OD with 18 gears.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
mike said:
The cases are nearly physically identical. So yes, you can use the OD with 18 gears.
So you just need the correct gears for your OD, and I presume a little machining on the case/OD for fit???

Cool

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
mike said:

I just wanted to raise a flag here because while the 18 and 20 cases are simular the 20 has a centered out put while the 18 is offset to the side. It has always been my knowledge that the warn od unit could only be used on the 18. I may be wrong but I just wanted to bring this up

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Thats why I was curious. I could use a Warn type OD/splitter, but really don't want to deal with the offset output.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Weezer said:

I just wanted to raise a flag here because while the 18 and 20 cases are simular the 20 has a centered out put while the 18 is offset to the side. It has always been my knowledge that the warn od unit could only be used on the 18. I may be wrong but I just wanted to bring this up

If you swap the whol 18 gearset into the 20 it runs exactly like the 18. You need to swap the 18 output housings too. Then you can run the OD. Sorry, should have clarified. If you're talking about using 18 gears with a bronco 20 slider, then no.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Warn OD's only work on off-set output's. You can not run a Warn OD on a D-20.

They work peachy on a Dana 18 (off-set output) based on a 20 case, with no machining. The 20 case is only marginally thicker in the rear cover area, so no machining is required.

Dana 18's last a long time, and they were designed to run running at fairly high RPM's based on the 5.38 gears in military rigs with no OD. They won't outlast a straight through design, but I would have no qualms about using an 18 in a daily driver, if I had to. Just use a nice synthetic gear lube, and they will last a long damn time.

They are a bit noisy, however. ;)

Andy

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ok, No OD and centered output. Got it.
Not worried about noise, it would be going in a Scout, a Diesel Scout at that. I guess I'll be doing a driveline when/If I do the OD swap.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That **** said:
Ok, No OD and centered output. Got it.
Not worried about noise, it would be going in a Scout, a Diesel Scout at that. I guess I'll be doing a driveline when/If I do the OD swap.
Copycat. ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
That **** said:

Phil, who gave you that idea in the first place??? :flipoff2:
Fawker. :emb4: :rolleyes:

I have the O/D, now I need to source the D-18 for cheap to get this project rolling (and shifting ;) ).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Phil, whats your budget aand gear count? I can search up here if you need...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Gear count--29 tooth. I have a line on two cheap D-18's ($75--the BB), but the shipping to AZ is unknown. However, the local junk yards want $350 for one! Fawk that. I would still need to replace all bearings and seals anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts