Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorting through my options, trying to pick the best plan of attack. please tell me of your hydro set up. what you like? Simplest set up?

1. option: gwyn lewis has a bolt on set up for d1/rrc/def. that's for the 4 bolt box. can I change to that box? is it a more durable option? less torque?

2. option: toddco offers a ram and wants you to send your box and pump in to have them tapped and turned up. anyone running this? I do not see the need for the send in the box. could I not just tee into a line and tee off of the bleed screw? however, I have no experience turning up pressure on a pump. can I diy the pressure tuning? sounds like just a little dicking with a spring or shims

I have been waiting on a reply to my inquiry for over 2 weeks from them.

3. option: if I can diy (as mentioned above) I should be able to use any ram that fits, right?

So whatcha running for assist? Not opposed to full hydro. Just think it's overkill for my modest set up. I would like to keep my box and pump for simplicity.
Thanks for any direction

·
whatever
1,500 Posts
The d2 stock steering should be fine pushing 35's...I pushed my front axle 2" forward, but I always planned on 37's so I went whole hog and ditched the stock setup for full hydro...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So, the wife is doing the complaining. No plans of ever going bigger than 35/36". If sticking a ram in and tapping the box fixes that.....on it. If it isn't going to make a difference....it is what it is.
I have searched. Sorry I did not see assist on d2, nor anything on the bolt on options. Saw a shit ton of hydro set ups, though. I am still searching. It would have been great to search and find the info that I'm looking for. Instead of replying that "I do, in fact, know how to use the search feature."so, I am still searching

I pushed axle forward....1.75"
Am I just binding my shit and adding stress? Easier fixed with adjustments, not adding more force?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Stiff at idle and turning the wheel or driving?

Jacked up caster or toe can cause stiffness at speed.
Just at idle / low rpms. Trails and parking spaces.
Aligned and 5deg corrected. I have swapped arms a few times with different ones that I was testing out. No effect

·
Extended Member
7,864 Posts
pump sprung a leak so I bought a seal kit and a new one. now have the original resealed and on the spares shelf.

I will source a new box.

thank you
So did it act weak with the old pump?

I have felt wildly different steering feeling in different d2's. Maybe fluid is boiling?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep weak with old pump and same with new.
what would cause my fluid to boil in normal driving, worn box?

do you know if the older 4 bolt boxes have higher or lower torque?

·
Extended Member
7,864 Posts
rrc, d1, defender. I ask because I have one. i'd look at retrofit if It were a better option

Maybe but I think it would be a lot of effort for no gain.

I still think you have a pump or box problem

Oh one other thing is to check the reservoir screen. Usually they are super dirty. You have to drain it and blast it with brake clean or something.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
OK, I apologize for the Search comment

Jack the front of the vehicles up and with engine running, turn wheel through entire range of motion. doe sit bind at any one particular point?

If it does, now jack the body up away from the axle and repeat. Might just present itself under such circumstances.

I can't count the number of AllMakes pumps I've installed and only had problems with two and I think it may have just been a bad batch given how many I've installed and sold-but I've switched over to the better ones since.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yep, np. one of the first things I did was put it on stands and check for bind. It has zero signs of any rough spots or binding.i tested every way I could come up with. Only on the move and at looow speeds, is it tougher. Like it is trying hard to straighten out. Steep Incline and declines seem to slightly amplify. Minus steering wheel to box and box, itself, I have replaced everything steering (hoses, pump, res.,ball joints, track/drag, etc. ), any worn ace components and everything suspension and most of the driveline components
Pump is that premium line, I think the bad batch was the standard line, about 1.5- 2 years back.
The issue was brought to my attention about a month after I swapped in gears and trutrac. I figured heavier gears and locker, she'd get used to it. She has not, last trip we rented an outback upon arrival. It was a nice station wagon, for her, but if that is the case, we should fly.
I have a trip planned for August. 2-3 weeks. Trail heavy, to the hemp hills. Condo in telluride. I'd feel like I built a 5 door dick, if we have to take a different vehicle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts