Pirate 4x4 banner

d30 front axle. will it hold up in mud if welded?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Invert'D 
#1 ·
on my beater cherokee, i want to weld the front, but dont want to brake every time it goes out. it will be on forest trails in the dirt, not rocks. will it hold up or am i just begging for trouble on 31" tires?

#4 ·
My buddy has had luck with the welded 30 in his YJ on 33"s SOA. He drives pretty hard, but its mostly muddy trails here by us too. I would just recommend not airing down the tires as much to limit grip and less strain. It will really suck if you drive it on the pavement at all and try to turn.

#9 ·
A HP D30 is a pretty good little axle if you treat it right. TJ axles with 297/760 joints would be a good cheap upgrade. You just need to change a seal or two. They don't stand up to jumping too well, but a truss will help the rest. A lot of guys out here on the West Coast run them with alloys, lockers and 35s and run them in the rocks, and they hold up pretty well.

Like someone already said, It should hold up to 31s and lincoln lockers as long as you watch the skinny pedal. Spare axles are cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.