Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Pinion angle should I shoot for in the front with my stock HP D30? Does anyone know the stock caster for the D30 so I dont change it too much? I already have my pinion angle set for the rear 8.8 at 2 degrees. I have heard for the front I want to have a pinion angle of 5 degrees. Is this true?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Don't change the pinion angle on your front axle unless you want to cut and turn your inner knuckles. If you change the pinion angle on the front axle you will kill your caster angle.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Your caster angle should be 5 to 7*. Your pinion angle will depend on height difference between the transfer case output shaft and the diff yoke. It will also depend on whether you have a single u-joint at each end of the drive shaft, or if you have a double-Cardin (sp) on one end. It would be hard for some one to tell you what angle to set your pinion without knowing lift, drive shaft type, etc. If you have a double-cardin shaft, the pinion should be in line with the drive shaft. If you have single u-joints at each end of the shaft, the pinion angle should equal the transfer case output shaft angle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
currently I have a single u-joint on each end. I do have an extra double-cardin joint that I could add to my driveshaft if needed. I have a SOA with waggy springs in the front with 35" tires. In order to keep the stock caster would I be better off using the existing driveshaft or adding a double-cardin?

·
Banned
412 Posts
jibmaster145 said:
currently I have a single u-joint on each end. I do have an extra double-cardin joint that I could add to my driveshaft if needed. I have a SOA with waggy springs in the front with 35" tires. In order to keep the stock caster would I be better off using the existing driveshaft or adding a double-cardin?

i would use the better shaft..too much work for a d30, i ran a soa on my yj with 35s and just upgraded the shaft worked great for me

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jeeperak said:
i would use the better shaft..too much work for a d30, i ran a soa on my yj with 35s and just upgraded the shaft worked great for me
First off I already have an upgraded shaft much stronger and longer than stock that I am able to add a double cardin to if needed.

Second what would getting a new shaft solve in my case except more time and money building another?

This post is for pinion angle and caster. I have not welded the spring perches in yet so I am trying to get the correct angle.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have the same exact setup as you SOA on waggys going with 35s. Install your springs, put the axle on jackstands with the spring perches in the correct location (measure off the old perches) and lower the full weight of the jeep down onto the axle to simulate it sitting on tires. Pull a knuckle off of put an angle finder on the lower ball joint, use a jack under the pinion to adjust caster/pinion angle. Like mentioned above get it around 5-7*'s. Tack perches and remove axle for final welding/painting.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
muddy_xj said:
Pull a knuckle off of put an angle finder on the lower ball joint, use a jack under the pinion to adjust caster/pinion angle.
Couldn't I do that without removing the knuckle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts