Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching google pretty hard core for the last few days, and haven't found out how to tell if I have the thick or thin ring gear. I'm going to instal a front lockright next week, and I've seen that some d30's have thin ring gears, and you dont need to remove the gear If it's thick, you have to pull the carrier or grind off teeth. I've got an 89 axle with the disco and 4.10 gears, how do I tell? If there is no way, I'll just do it as I go, but I'd rather plan my time out better (ie, I can do it in a nice warm shop with a full assortment of tools and a hoist if I can get it done in less then 2.5 hours, otherwise, I have to do it at home.)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I haven't heard of any thick/thin ring gears other than the vriation in thickness related to the gear ratio. As far as I know, you will have to pull the carrier out and take the ring gear off. I did a write-up a while back, so you can look at that and determine whether you can do it in 2.5 hrs or not.

Click here.

·
33,755 Posts
when I installed the Lockright in my D-30 ('90 YJ) I pulled the carrier out, removed the spider gears, put in the Lockright, installed carrier again. Just make sure you keep the bearing caps ad all shims in their proper places. You don't want to go switching those things around. You shouldn't need to remove the ring gear from the carrier itself, just pull the carrier install locker, reinstall carrier, bolt everything back up and enjoy your locker.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You'll know after you pull the cover. With the 4.10 the cross shaft is close to coming off without removing the ring gear. I'd rather not grind down the teeth, removing the ring gear is not that big a deal.:skull: :rasta:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So they won't clear the 4.10's then? I'm not worried about difficluty with pulling the ring gear, I'm worried about time. I guess I'll be digging into it monday.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I thought the carrier is what changes the thickness? Thats why you have to do a carrier change on differentials, I believe on a D30 is 3.73 up, 3.55 down

Jordan

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Actually, the technical term is "case" (part that the ring gear bolts to), and the carrier is the actual housing. I can't remember, there have been debates over that.

Jordan

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, with my stock low gearing carrier (or case...whatever, I call it a carrier) I should be fine? Guess I'll be able to tell you on monday.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
well, I'm not sure which one gives more clearance though, the 3.73 and up or the 3.55 and down.

Jordan

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I tore into it tonight. Sure enugh, I have a thick ring gear (or carrier or whatever, I need to remove it anyway). No prob, I'll take it out. Well, first weird thing was that I had a c-clip on the passenger side (which I have never heard of) and not one on the drivers side...not a provision for it or anything. SOOO, I get the one c-clip off, and try to get the hub/axle assembly out. The problem is that my hubs are rusted tight. I've been spraying the crap out of them with JB-80, but still no budging. Any other suggestions to get the freakin axles to slide out? Will a propane torch get hot enugh to do anything? I've just about called it a night, but I'd really like to get this done by tomorrow as there is a trail ride at noon, but if I miss it, no biggie.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The way the 4.10 gears are cut, makes the teeth cut deeper and therefore protrude farther in the way of the cross pin. So with 4.10s you will have to remove the carrier/ring gear. Im not sure if this applies to any gears numerically higher than 4.10 but i know that when we did it on mine w/ 4.10, it was this way. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Little Red Zuk said:
A slide hammer is your friend.:D
Yup, just joined a 4x4 club and went on a trail ride with them saturday. I was talking with one of the guys, and he said he's got a heated garage and lots of tools made for administrating excessive force. I love jeepers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts