Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to shortcut the dissasembly procedure, can I remove the shift forks and remove the front output housing and shift rail assy as one unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
to shortcut the dissasembly procedure, can I remove the shift forks and remove the front output housing and shift rail assy as one unit?

Thanks
No.

You would need to push the large cross pin out that holds the idler gear cartridge in place, which would enable you to access the shift fork retention screws. There is no D300 shortcut disassembly procedure.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm a dumbass. I'd already skipped that step in my head. :laughing:

I'm just trying to avoid dealing with the shift detent balls.

Are the bearings in the intermediate shaft caged or loose?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
loose, grease is your friend during re-assembly
Bingo.

Also I used a large socket(it was something like 7/8" or 15/16" or something) that was damn near the same size as the cross pin to hold the needles in on one side until the cross pin can be driven all the way through. Same idea as a "dummy pin" or whatever the proper tool is:laughing:

There's a pic in my build thread somewhere.

·
Registered
19,460 Posts
You'll hate life when you have to pick up all those damn pins off the floor. Clean them. And try again. :laughing: Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been there with a NP208 rebuild. not that bad, not that bad 1000 bearings all over the floor that are .01 differnt in length -fawk!:laughing:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts