Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but didn't find how to get the rails out.

My 300 shifted great before i removed the front housing to do the 32sp output upgrade. Put it back together last night and it takes a hammer to shift from low, to neutral, to high. But softer than before to shift from hi, to lneutral, to low. :confused:

I've heard you just turn the rails 90 degrees to get them out, well mine don't turn that far :confused: is there anything extra that needs to come off before turning the rails? i took the 4wd indicator light thing off, but still no avail.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I searched but didn't find how to get the rails out.

My 300 shifted great before i removed the front housing to do the 32sp output upgrade. Put it back together last night and it takes a hammer to shift from low, to neutral, to high. But softer than before to shift from hi, to lneutral, to low. :confused:

I've heard you just turn the rails 90 degrees to get them out, well mine don't turn that far :confused: is there anything extra that needs to come off before turning the rails? i took the 4wd indicator light thing off, but still no avail.
I have done 2 so far dave and they are a BITCH!!!! If you can find somebody with the directions on the tera low 4:1 there are decent instructions to getting them out...

Sounds like there is some crap in the shift rail housing...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This manual has a couple pics and a fairly good description of the removal.

http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/Flip Kit PDF's/flip1.pdf

Using a hammer, tap on the two thimbles on the backside of the
case until they are loose and remove. Each shift rail has three
positions of movement, rear, neutral and front. Looking at the case
from the front, with the inspection cover opening face-up, locate
the front output shift rail on the right-hand side of the case. Put the
front output shift rail in the middle/neutral position. Next, remove
the shift rail seal retainer from around the front of the two shift
rails. The retainer has a single 5/16” bolt attaching it to the
housing. With the front output shift rail in the neutral position,
insert a punch in the hole on the front of the rear output shift rail,
twist and pull the shaft out of the case. Repeat this procedure for
the front shift rail. Now, remove both shift forks from the housing
and save the shorter of the two forks for later use.

That might just be the answer i needed... hope like hell it works tonight!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Hey DSI this is Garrett marks old spotter. I have a set of tera instructions in my shop i think so when i go home for lunch i will grab them and see what i can find.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just as a heads up to close this thread incase anyone else ever has this issue and searches...

i pulled the rails, partially per teh JB Conversions instructions, i took the front housing off the t-case and put it in a vise. took a fair bit of effor to get the rails out the first time. cleaned greased and de-burred the rails and the slots in the case. re assembled, same issue. re assembled minus rear detent, worked flawless. well other than the lack of holding it in gear. so for whatever reason, taking 1 cut off wheel's thickness off of the detent spring made it work perfectly.

no clue why, but it's all re-assembled and fixed up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts